Politics in Religion

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Oct 14, 2014.

1. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Did I hear one time someone say two things you never talk about are religion and politics.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

we already tax money sent overseas. . .

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I mean the Romneys of the world moving millions offshore, folks spending money made here over somewhere else, etc.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Please no. God no. It all sounds so simple in theory, but please, no, no, no, no, no.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you watch too many movies. do you really think someone worth $50 mil is going to risk going to prison to save say $500K a year in taxes? and you are suggesting that people shouldn't be able to travel or live overseas?

6. CardinalVol

I've actually had to dig around with some debt-financed stock buy back the last few days. You can find some good blogs out there demonizing Apple about their practices. It's rather funny.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm talking about people breaking the law. What apple does is legal and I've complained about here forever. Individuals aren't given the same latitude.

8. CardinalVol

I know. I just wanted to mention it since it was on my mind.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

They should be able to, but they shouldn't be able to avoid taxes by doing so. I know right now we have some measures to avoid this, just expressing my concern because I know the wealthy are going to do whatever they can get away with to protect wealth.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Apple and others shouldn't be allowed to do it. A bill to stop some of that was attempted a couple weeks ago. Republicans shot it down.

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Or perhaps so many corporations would locate here that people would have to hide not to have a job thrown at them.

Back to your question. I have no problem removing the tax exempt status for religious organizations that endorse a party or candidate. With that said, I doubt their endorsement has much influence as they are "preaching to the choir" so to speak.

12. CardinalVol

Both parties agree the corporate worldwide tax structure has to change, but there is a big debate in the details.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They don't avoid taxes by going overseas unless they earn income overseas. And by income I do not mean investment income. I mean working overseas. Even then they still have to pay some American taxes as long as they are American citizens. The wealthy ain't getting the free ride you think they are. if you really want to stop the wealthy from getting a free ride, change the tax laws on real estate investing. that's where the real graft comes from.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

riigghhhtt. I guess that's why steve jobs gave aggressively to democrats when he was alive. Apple is the third rail. Liberals love apple. The democrats don't have the balls to touch the third rail.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed that it probably isn't having much of an effect on which way people vote at this time in politics, but it still is inappropriate. I've said this before, but I feel like being a tax-free group should be contingent on being below a certain threshold of administrative cost, and somehow accounting for organizations who use non-taxed money to build essentially private gyms and country clubs.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am not disagreeing that Jobs was a democrat or that Apple isn't protected by democratic congress folks OR that many liberals are so infatuated with Apple that they turn a blind eye to it while demonizing other corporations. But that a bill was put forth by Dems and shot down by Repubs is still interesting.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

what bill are you talking about exactly? I'd be interested to see how they could even do it without screwing people who aren't doing it avoid taxes.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't believe anyone wants a nation sales tax

19. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Legalize and regulate drugs and tax the piss out of it

It's not like revenue is a problem

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I thought most companies tried most to shield off profits made over seas the we still try to tax for some reason.