Politics in Religion

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We collect too much tax as is already. The issue is the crazy amount that we spend

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if they keep the money over there we don't tax it. just like foreign companies aren't taxed by their local govt for money made and kept here.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is what I was thinking of: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/30/gop-tax-hike_n_5634296.html

Looks like Dems wouldn't allow amendments/changes to it, which isn't really a good way to get a good bill both sides can live with. So you got me there. We have a terribly broken congress. I mean, it is pathetic. I may not like half of what would come through, but if you put me and Uni on a committee with you and Tenny or whoever, we could at least get some things done.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can't argue with that. We're dumb with how we spend. Just keep in mind that most of what we spend is on interest at this point. A large part of the problem now is overspending in the past.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

The bill would have prohibited companies from deducting expenses related to moving their operations to a foreign country. It also would have offered tax credits to companies that move operations to the U.S. from a foreign country.

Hard to imagine not being able to deduct a couple of million or whatever would stop anyone from sending operations overseas. I'm not really in favor of passing bills just for the sake of making the American people think you are doing something.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

and imagine what will happen when interest rates are no longer kept artificially low by the fed.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

My wife and I work every Monday for the government on just federal income tax. That's not including Medicare, SS, and other fees. It really is troubling when you understand both sides abuse the tax system and tax money to keep getting elected and rich off of special interest

8. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

So the flat/fair tax would suck?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It all sucks. The flat/fair tax would just suck in new and different ways.

10. wildnkrazykat

But at least people making $$ illegally would finally be paying too

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

How you figure? Unless you are advocating a sales tax.

12. wildnkrazykat

I don't know anything about it and don't know how much "sales" tax it would take to offset letting people earn full salaries. I do agree with 53 that the problem is in what we spend.

13. volinbham

volinbham Member

amen - it was a show bill to put R's on the hook for being in favor of off shoring. Not that R's don't do this crap too but Jesus all these things are so transparent. Go back to the second post of this thread. Just tax individuals and be done with it.

14. volinbham

volinbham Member

while we're at it - why are unions tax exempt? Hell, they don't even have legal restrictions against political activity.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Unions who endorse candidates (so like all of them? Most of them, anyway) should not be tax exempt. The burden for a nonprofit to be tax exempt ought to be higher, if we are taxing more than just individuals.