Positives From Last Night

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by GahLee, Sep 14, 2014.

1. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

I heard Josh Smith has a high ankle sprain.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dammit, Syndicate. Not a VFL.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

We agree on two things in one morning! We're undersized and still didn't get moved at will.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

^I'm with this mf'ing guy.^

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The defense was giving up yards but given the field position and TOP, they really held their own for most the night.

Worley isn't a great talent, but could be serviceable with improved play calling. I really don't know why we didn't do more quick passes to North and pig with the soft coverage. Plus don't run jet sweeps when you can't stop penetration. The offense might have a chance if you're not playing behind the chains all night. Don't get cute just stay on schedule

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Dang.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He's never going to be the guy, but he's a really good 3rd option

8. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Not being sarcastic. He's solid.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I didn't think you were.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If that's what it takes to keep him from being the target of screen passes, I'll take it.

11. JayVols

#53getsit

12. JayVols

I'll admit it. Big improvement over last year.

13. Memtownvol

Memtownvol Member

With the lack of depth we have on the line and at linebacker, I would have to say we did an outstanding job. They would have put up 55 to 60 points on last years D. Our speed on the edge and in the backfield are noticeable this year. The upgrade in speed is evident in that we actually ran down a few of their players in plays that would have resulted in a TD over the last few seasons. The fact that their offensive starters had to stay in the game till the end says a lot about our D and the fight they brought with them last night.

14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Half-assed the recovery effort on his fumble in the first half as well.

He's tough in the sense that he can take an ass whipping, but not much of a fighter.

15. JayVols

Very well put.

16. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Josh Smith is to Butch Jones as Dane Bradshaw is to Bruce Pearl.

17. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I wasn't particularly pleased with the final score, but we can build off this game. Our defense gave up 27 to OK in Norman. That is pretty good. And, 7 came after what should have been an OK turnover. And, I am not whining, but I saw a few holds on that OK OL that were not called. I saw TKJr, Cam, and AJ lay some hits on their guys. We may be faster, but we are still pretty physical. Bottom line is our defense can compete at a higher level this year.

On offense, I just hope we learn. We need to retire the Pig Sweep. It does not work with the OL. Try to run a little more. Hurd is definitely better than Lane. Croom is just not a gamer. You have to wonder with Von in the rotation, would Croom have been in the game at those times. And, Worley is good enough to win enough for us to get 6 wins. But, BaJa needs to figure out how to keep JW out of those situations where his deficiencies show. Here is a fact. Letting Worley throw inside the 10 is like handing the ball off to Arian Foster near the goal line. Just don't do it. Sometimes, you just run it and take the 3. 27-13 then, and it's still 2 scores.

18. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I'm going to wait to see what happens in Morgantown Saturday night before I judge last night's performance.

19. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The read option is to Butch what Stephen Pearl was to Bruce Pearl.

20. BearGapVol73

BearGapVol73 Member

The Oklahoma defense showed what a defense with 11 guys that hit like Cam and AJ looks like. We only need nine more.