Positives From Last Night

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by GahLee, Sep 14, 2014.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

AJ's leadership will leave a void that someone, maybe Vereen but most likely Maggitt, will have to fill.

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I think we will be fine there, obviously losing AJ's leadership and play will hurt but I get the feeling that there are plenty of alpha males on D.

3. GahLee

Jakob Johnson as well.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I really hope Cecil Cherry pans out

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Dos Berry
    Kahlil McKenzie
    Hendrix
    Sawyers
    Andrew Butcher

6. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I know you guys are talking defense, but I am really hoping Alvin Kamara pans out as well.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I wouldn't hold my breath but it would be nice

8. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Really? I thought he was supposed to be a stud and just didn't want to wait in line at bama. Does he have a poor work ethic or something like that?

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's had maturity issues and some people claim he's lazy

10. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Gotcha.

11. GahLee

Indeed. The defense is going to be nice. I'm going go ahead and add Shy to the mix too.

12. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Mark Richt is a professional talent squanderer. He's got business cards and everything.

13. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

It's gonna be filthy. Disgusting. Arguably rancid.

14. GahLee

We just need a QB. And the play calling has to improve. That's it.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Punter and some offensive tackles.

16. GahLee

OL is a mess but I think there is potential for several guys, Matt Darr is awful however.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

His ankle must be bothering him or something. He looked like he was punting a pillow out there.

18. GahLee

Better than the OL, they were biting the pillow.

19. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

My reactions, for what they're worth:

- OL.

They were trash for 50% of the night. I thought they came out initially and did okay in pass protection and mediocre in run blocking. Then, I think, Oklahoma figured out our snap routine and count and they were able to basically be Visigoths with poor Worley being undefended Rome. His virtue was... spoiled. Eventually the staff decided they didn't want to make an insurance claim on a dead player so something changed. Snap count? OL found their balls? Who knows. 4th Quarter OL was a significant improvement. If Blair ever finds his ability, I think we'll be good on the OL by mid-season. I think communication issues were a factor as well. And, given the youth and inexperience on the OL, that's expected especially given the environment. Glad we don't have any games at LSU this year.

- Conditioning was great.

I grew accustomed to watching our Vols lose gas in the 4th. This didn't happen. If anything, if I may be so bold, I think Oklahoma was gassed by us. UT outgained OU 122 to 39 in the 4th and, outside of their opening drive in the 3rd.. UT outgained OU 195-75. I think conditioning played a large role in this.

- Attitude

A DDIAPOS team would have been out in the 1st Quarter. They would have gotten punched in the mouth in a hostile environment and they would have just folded. I can't stress how much of a gut-check I think this game was for us. Hostile game on the road against a non-Conference opponent who is favored to play for a NC while we're struggling to get bowl eligible? I thought this had UT-Oregon written all over it. All the factors were in place for OU to completely barnstorm us. And they tried. And they almost got away with it if not for our meddling defense.

- Defense

I thought they played poorly to start and got better as the game went on. I think this fed off of 2 factors previously mentioned with conditioning and attitude. These are 2 (of many) intangibles that Jones had to contend with after the pink-sock by Kiffin and then subsequent cleveland steamer by DDIAPOS. Last year's team wouldn't have had the horses to compete in the 3rd and 4th. I know it's conjecture but 2013 UT would have lost 49-10 or something to that tune. I was squarely against Jancek and I've made that clear but now? Now I'm torn. That gameplan by Jancek that we executed in the 2nd half was magnificent. OU came out and made a defining drive. To that point (1st half and 1st drive of 2nd) OU had put up 358 yards on 47 plays. That's 7.6ypp. UT was in a "bend but don't break mode" that I despised when Chavis was here. After that opening 2nd Half drive, however, UT shut them the hell down. 75 yards on 23 plays for 3.2ypp. This is an OU offense that had put up 429 yards on Alabama. A much deeper and more experienced Alabama defense. OU ended up with 454 yards. I'd rather have a defense play lights out in the 2nd half than vice-versa. Shows adjustments by the defensive coaching staff. I'm now middle of the road to Jancek. If he continues like this, I'll be in his wheelhouse firmly.

- Offense

What a mess. One side of me says "how the hell do you call a game when your OL is basically toilet paper?" I'm sure a very youthful, inexperienced and limited OL did play a role in our offensive playcalling. While this does ultimately come down to Bajakian (inexperience and lack of talent weren't an excuse for 2009 Kiffin-led UT OL) it does explain some things. 2009 UT was a very rough road initially. Hopefully, as stated above, Coleman and Robertson continue through their growing pains and end up well. I remember when James made his first appearance at RT as a true freshman and it was rough. He ended up being, IMO, the most overlooked and undervalued OL in UT's history. I think that'll be Coleman Thomas... eventually. I keep reminding myself we started 2 true freshman on the right side in Norman, OK. That's damned rough. They played better as the game went on which did help. Eventually Bajakian started keeping the RB back and the blitz would be read. If Striker crashed, the RB or TE would release and eventually that slowed Striker's blitzing. The 5-wide on the 5 is inexcusable. Just put Bransiel in at FB and put an extra OT in at TE and just run at OU 4 straight times. If you're going to pass, at least play action out of a heavy set to make them think you're running. I really do think a PA roll to the right with Hurd would have worked but I'm just a monday morning QB.

Overall I thought it was a 24 point game that really should have been better. Lets just say our 2 turnovers in the red-zone go for 2 FGs and OU doesn't get the pick-6. That's an 11 point loss on the road with a FR stocked roster. I'll take that all day. I still have reservations but I'm more positive about our team today than I was on Friday.

20. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

And to stir the pot...

If Hurd really ran a 4.3 he wouldn't have been caught from behind. I think he's more like a mid-high 4.4. Still impressive for a guy his size.

Bassman, you've got it from here.