Practice 8.5.14

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Aug 5, 2014.

1. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

I was on an all white team in HS... We were very well coached and had great discipline. Outside of a few big breakaway plays we destroyed the 2 or 3 black teams we would play each year. Not to generalize to the point of being offensive, but they typically laid down after a few hard licks.

2. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Seriously. I can't see there being a massive amount of regression from April when they both looked like serviceable QBs. I think it's just jitters/rust.

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Well disciplined teams full of white guys with average athleticism spanking schools with all (or almost all) very athletic black players isn't really uncommon.

Edit: race really has nothing to do with it. High school teams that aren't disciplined or can't execute can lose easily to far less talented teams.

4. KenTenn

KenTenn Only Mod Approved Posts

Under funded, poorly coached, relying on ability instead of technique, poor diet, and probably no real life to give them proper attitudes or work ethics, just to start. It's not the color, it's the foundation.

5. KenTenn

I think we may be too judgmental. One reason for the high balls might be that we have a bevy of tall receivers and TEs. It makes sense to practice taking advantage of their height by throwing balls that force shorter DBs to jump for it and lose that battle repeatedly.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

That is the truth of it, and the proof is in some of the crappier rural all white schools that suffer from all of the things you listed.

7. KenTenn

And the sad thing is, in today's society, when you're right, you're still wrong.

8. KenTenn

Comments, Questions, and Other Such Yakking:

1. In the video for today's practice, why is Darrel Scott just standing in the background watching the RB drills instead of participating?

2. Speculation because a video isn't accurate for some things. It seems that when JW and JD are throwing at the same time, and JW's ball comes out first, JD's ball either arrives first or catches up to JW's ball.

3. Drae Bowles looks like he's about ready and runs hard.

4. If the QBs can play even decently, we probably could make every play a passing play. Rotating receivers and using pass catching RBs and the TEs, tiring out the safeties and CBs in short order. With so many passing targets, a QB or RB could all but walk 5-8 yards every so often due to opponent fear of the passing attack.

5. I'm one of those people who thinks USU will be a stiff first game for our boys. Even think we could lose it and the loss might get ugly. But now, I'm thinking if the QB can get the ball to the receivers, it's possible the refs may have to make a mercy call and end the game early.

6. Some guy named Collins, I think, says we could upset Bama this year. My first response was ha ha ha, and a jackal will maul and eat a male African lion. But you know, if we get decent QB play, I now think it is a farfetched possibility. farfetched because I and no one else yet knows what our defense will be like.

7. I have a feeling we're going to see a Jason Croom, a motivated one making life miserable for opponent DBs this season. He's going to start out tippy toe-ish and see Drae start ahead of him and know it is because Drae plays with an attitude. This is going to light a fire under JC's rear and we're going to see that, "something wicked this way comes."

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  9. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Colin Cowherd predicted we upset Bama. He's a west coast homer and a huge USC fan. I'm guessing it's because Kiffin is now with Bama and/or more traffic for his show/site.

10. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

Nah it's because Cowherd loves trolling the Gumps. http://youtu.be/Hewlm88L-r0

11. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

racist

12. Beechervol

Or he just throws the ball too high.

13. Beechervol

Both are 5-7 win QBs on this roster with this schedule.

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Are you guys in some contest which seeks to determine which of you is the biggest racist?

Because this is the singlemost racist - and stupid - shit I've ever read. Ever. Anywhere.

Your team "destroyed" 2-3 other teams. What in the hell does that have to do with the predominance of your team being white, or theirs black?

And who is the "they" that "typically lays down after a few hard licks"? Black players? And if so, is it all black players, or most, or just the really "uppity" ones? You've never seen a white player lay down after some hard licks? What do Latinos do, instead?

Well-disciplined teams of average talent will almost always beat poorly disciplined teams with superior talent. That's called "football". That you seem to think that the "whites" have some corner of the former market cornered, and the blacks (I believe you meant to say "them people") are more prone to the latter is equal parts ignorant and preposterous. That's called "racist bullshit".

And you can't write this tripe, and then explain it away by merely offering the caveat of "race has nothing to do with it" - WHEN YOUR ENTIRE EXAMPLE WAS LARGELY PREDICATED ON THE COLOR OF EACH TEAM.

Who are we talking about being "under-funded, poorly coached, relying on ability instead of technique, poor diet(!)...." and dumbest of all "no real life to give them proper attitudes and work ethics"? All people? Asians? Native American? I'm not sure, because it looks like you just quoted a post that tried to assign these traits to black people, and ostensibly, you felt that it wasn't quite F'ing stupidly racist enough, and felt the need to add and expound on it. Given the choice to force either you or Bassman back to VN, I'd choose you. Too quick to talk about it.

F'ing stupid-assed racists, the lot of you.

My $.02

15. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

As far as I can tell, these particular comments were in direct response to another comment about all-white teams vs all-black teams. Latinos, as far as I can tell, were not mentioned.

I'm pretty quick to call out racist bullshit, but when somebody says that an all-black team would destroy an all-white team because of the athletic disparity, I think mentioning your specific experience playing against all-black teams who actually weren't very good is relevant.

It seems to me that the referent of "they" is pretty clearly "the 2 or 3 black teams we would play each year" and not "black players in general."

That said, I agree that the whole exchange would've come off better if it were framed in terms of underfunded and poorly coached teams being bad, with black teams being a specific example, rather than starting with the specifics and throwing on the generalization at the end to make sure everyone can tell you're not racist.

16. Beechervol

White men can't jump

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Are you arguing that the comments were not racist? Best to get that straight, first.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

It's science. They made a movie about it

19. KenTenn

Thanks for seeing the posts for what they are. I think TD simply has some kind of vendetta against me for whatever reason. I may stray now and then but all I really care about is talking Vols ball. But seriously, thanks for seeing the posts for what they really are.

20. KenTenn

SHHHH! Blake Griffin doesn't know that.