President Trump: Military to Guard Border

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Your interpretation is incorrect.

He could tax money leaving the US for Mexico, he could require a wall for concessions on NAFTA, he could outright end NAFTA if they refuse, he could issue a trade embargo on them, he could withhold aid from them, etc. etc.

Forcing Mexico to pay for the wall is easy.

Super duper easy.

Many, many, many ways to do it.

And there's really not a damned thing that they or anyone else could do about almost any of them.

Mexico doesn't have a chip in the game - and what are they going to do in retaliation, exactly?

Flood our country with illegals and drugs? Use their cheap labor to kill our middle class? Become a vast and lawless wasteland, save the de facto governance which the drug cartels provide for?

It is what it is.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Joseph Brant likes this.
  2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It isn’t done because of Posse Comitatas Act.

JayVols likes this.
  3. fl0at_

I don’t think you can get around it. It’s a domestic policy.

Coyotes can be US citizens, and though violating the law, you’re enforcing it with the military.

One example of that, and the Gov is screwed.

JayVols likes this.
  4. Tenacious D

Not even I would hasten a guess on things such as this - he's surprised me in multiple directions, thus far.

If he orders the US military to secure and defend and the southern US border, it will be effectively done in a matter of days, not weeks. Perhaps hours.

5. fl0at_

And every citizen should absolutely fear that.

Because the military is now enforcing law against private citizens.

JayVols likes this.
  6. Tenacious D

No idea.

My initial instinct is to say that we've done a helluva lot more legally dubious things with the military that didn't run afoul of PCA.

And that it involves the border, it gives immediate rise to issues of national sovereignty, security, etc., and which no court could permit shackling the POTUS in those matters.

That being said....I will officially predict that IF Trump does this, that there will be some Federal judge in NY, CA, HI who will somehow try to legally contort some half-assed opinion as to how it can be prohibited (the 9th Circuit is always handy for this), and it'll be the fastest overturn in the history of SCOTUS.

7. Tenacious D

I've been assured that we need not fear the overwhelming power and reach of the Federal Government.

So, it's cool.

zehr27 likes this.
  8. fl0at_

Not openly, no.

“Involving the border” is too broad. How do you square US citizen moving drugs over the border as national security, in a way that makes US citizen moving drugs across state border that isn’t national security?

You’re using military against US citizens. If proximity to a border is sufficient to warrant usage, so fast that SCOTUS issue the fastest overturn in history, we’ve jumped the shark as a nation of free thinkers.

JayVols likes this.
  9. fl0at_

So you are freely admitting to being the same as the other? Not better. Not different.

Just more of the same?

10. Tenacious D

Whether it's correct or not, this isn't new.

W did it.
    Obama did it.

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ilitary-guards-obama-bush-not-first-president

11. Tenacious D

Who am I to question the Federal Government?

12. Tenacious D

One is a national boundary (Feds), not a state boundary (could be Feds, State or both).

It's not "proximity" to the US border, it's traversing the US border.

If a court prevented this, it would effectively end the POTUS' ability to command the armed forces, to order their arrangement and mission - even inside the US, and in protection of its own borders against foreign invaders.

This isn't just a federal law issue, and those who would be stopped aren't citizens.

There is less than a zero percent chance that SCOTUS will allow that. None.

13. Tenacious D

Scott Adams has some good insight, for a cartoonist.*

Link: https://www.pscp.tv/w/1yoJMkekXrXKQ

*This cat always reminds me of BPV for some reason. Artistic types, perhaps?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

"thus guaranteeing..."

That doesn't, uh, bother you? That because the wagon is now hitched to the MIC, it is now securely funded indefinitely?

That should bother you. If you think about it. And really care about this country.

EDIT: I thought someone said this was guaranteeing funding for the wall. Must have imagined it?

15. fl0at_

Traversing the border by a US citizen is not the concern of the US military. But this makes it such.

BULLSHIT. For years people say things like "The military would never be used against US citizens, to wage war, or disarm. They have more honor than that." And you are saying the exact opposite, that if ordered, the US military will do exactly that.

And just how do you differentiate between a citizen and a non-citizen, before you stop?

JayVols likes this.
  16. fl0at_

Increasingly, a nobody. By choice.

JayVols likes this.
  17. fl0at_

Then I guess this undermines the idea that "if the military were to be tasked with securing the border, it would happen immediately" eh?

Oh wait, unless we're going to backtrack completely and take note of this quote, which invalidates this entire post:

So which is it, are you wrong, or just wrong?

emainvol and JayVols like this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Remember that conspiracy about military exercises and Obama getting ready to declare marshal law? Essentially, Trump is actually doing so along the border. But those same people freaked out over a a bogus chain mail are now applauding it.

To answer Tenny's little tagline: of no importance, apparently.

JayVols likes this.
  19. Tenacious D

I'd prefer that we not begin to question our love of country, but such is your right.

I didn't say anything about guaranteeing anything.

Had I said or agreed with that - again, I didn't - I think that an argument could be made that it will force the building of the wall, as that would be more palatable (less vomitous?) than the securing of the border by the military.

More simply, it could be to prevent the continued actions of the military along the border, and not the entrenchment of it.

20. Tenacious D

I don't think that the US military will be bothered with those who legally cross the border.

The military can - and should be - concerned with anyone who illegally crosses our border. That's why we have a standing military, to prevent exactly this sort of thing.

By your rationale, if a foreign invader amassed troops to threaten to breach our border, we shouldn't resist, if such required the military to conduct operations within our own sovereign territory.

I can't speak to what "people" have "said for years".

The women and men of the US military will

And

Including those orders - especially including - those orders received from the Commander in Chief, and even as they apply to the US Southern Border.

You know these well.

Edit - Missed the last one. How will you differentiate between a US citizen and and illegal alien? Pretty damned easily. Those who attempt to pass at a legal checkpoint can go through the standard process, and which is completed thousands of times each day. Those who are attempting to cross anywhere other than those points - even if a US citizen - is doing so unlawfully, and gives easy rise to probable cause to stop.