President Trump: Military to Guard Border

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Apr 3, 2018.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But once the Federal government claims Imminent Domain, pays you "fair value" for your land, it is now Federal land and no longer under protection from the Third Amendment.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Part of the issue is that to build the wall, you will need to deviate from the border in many areas. And it will put people on the wrong side, split property and resources, disrupt water flow, etc. Imminent domain is one thing, cutting off water access and wildly departing from the states purpose of being along the border is another. And that is still skipping over many practical issues.

I don't want to have to compensate golf courses on or in the middle of the Rio grande. Or to cut off entire lake fronts.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Condemning border land and seizing has a long past. You do that, there is no Amendment to contend with; it’s Federal ground.

I don’t think the 3rd applies because of housing language.

But I don’t think it would come to that, because enough people would offer to allow them to stay in their land.

Posse Comitatas should apply since it is a domestic concern, involving non combatants.

But I wouldn’t want that challenge to go before this court, because I think there is enough wacko on it to give the people that want this exactly what they want; the ability to use the military against any obstacle, all in the name of defense.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

How far out does border land extend from the delineated boundary?

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Another thing I would like to see is how many private land owners would be effected.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The ones I have met, granted very, very few, that have owned property within 10 miles of the border would probably welcome the military.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Anecdotally, it'd be a mix, and some would change their minds. There are some who see it as a gross violation of their freedom, and the coyotes/migrants as a mild nuisance.

A wall as an idea is one thing, cutting you off from your own property is another.

Volst53 likes this.
  8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I would think having someone around to keep illegal trespassers off your property would be a good thing or welcomed. I am sure though there is plenty of people as well that don't want the government on their property any more than illegal aliens.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

For some, the migrants are infrequent and temporary whereas the border patrol is permanent. Both annoy, but one is a constant source.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Also, how is the military going to guard?

Foot infantry only (doubtful).

Helicopters? Most likely, and military craft are loud.

Humvees? Surely.

Heavier vehicles?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Drones. Also, there are two geosynchronous satellites that will be coming online over North america. They are intended for weather purposes but would allow for hourly or more frequent monitoring under some conditions. I'm excited about them for other reasons but their potential applications are endless.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Thanks.

I'm no lawyer, but in my mind, a reasonable nexus could be proven between the "house" language and one's front yard, pasture field, etc. But that's just me.

To me, this situation is the embodiment of a Posse Comitatus violation, but you're right. Those clamoring to occupy the border with combat troops when no enemy combatant is on the other side would have an absolute shit-fit if troops had been deployed to enforce The Affordable Care Act or basically any other policy of the previous administration. Before someone screams security, border enforcement is a domestic policy like the ACA, and Posse Comitatus expressly forbids the use of regular military forces for the enforcement of domestic policies. That's how police states begin. One may love the idea right now with "their guy", but rest assured, there will come a time when "their guy" isn't in office. At that point, using troops to enforce domestic policy would be met with weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth decrying fascist gestapo police state tactics. That's as sure to happen as the sun rising in the east and setting in the west.

13. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Since the Army spent money to buy ~350 UH-72 LUH aircraft for the National Guard, I'm sure they would love to have the business.

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The National Guard is an entirely different animal. They can and have been used as domestic law enforcement.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

So are there going to be boots on the ground at these locations at all times or more monitored by drones and satellites? I would think drone and satellite monitoring would not be as bad to the land owners.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think there are great remote techniques that should be fully utilized.

The plan seems to be more boots. Maybe a combo.

JayVols likes this.
  17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Agreed. I think going the remote way would work pretty well.

JayVols likes this.
  18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Are coyotes drug mules? Serious question

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

ThAt is the name of the guides who ferry people across the border. I am sure some move drugs. Some move guns back across. I assume if you know how to cross, you don't get a lot of people these days. Illegals tend to be desperate central Americans and don't utilize the coyotes as much as Mexicans did years ago.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator