Proof Butch Jones Sucks

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by govols182, Dec 1, 2014.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Thought the secondary was better in coverage earlier in the year (other than Sutton, who was top notch all year). Thought Reeves-Maybin maybe dropped off a little. Might be that he's just beat up. Maggitt definitely picked things up after being kind of unnoticeable early in the year.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I agree with this. The middle there it was pretty rough, but the end of the season they seemed to settle back down. And lets not forget the loss of AJ Johnson.

I understand the impatience and anger as we have been bad for so long. But I know after the Florida game I think I started just looking for shit to complain about and have come to the conclusion this weekend (for myself) that I was being unfair. Is everything honey and cream? No, far from it, but we have improved some and that is better than regressing.

I guess.

3. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

The DL was stout all year. The secondary, minus Sutton seemed to be the the problem area. Losing Aj didn't help either.

4. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Indeed. Maggit just kept getting better. Any chance he leaves now with such a strong finish to the year?

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Doubt it.

The NFL will want to see more durability and a larger sample size to warrant an early departure.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I've said it over and over, this team had some achilles heels, and it could've been managed better but I'm not sure the end result would look much different. (always other than Florida, but we could've lost the USCe game had we won that one). This assessment is also independent of future expectations.

7. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I'm embarrassed to admit that I once said I thought Dooley could succeed (early in his tenure by the way) IF, he got out of the way and acted as a CEO type coach and let his assistants do the coaching (assuming he hired decent ones), of course he was shit all the way around. I will say the same thing about Butch (probably end up wrong again) but if a light would go off under his flat top and he wanted to hang around longer than 3-4 years, scrap the shitty offensive system, fire Bajaja and some others and get some decent assistants. I really think Butch could do well as "the face" of the program, he's likable, he can recruit and as far as I know, he stays out of trouble. Loyalty and ego (when ego is attached to something that doesn't work) will get you fired in the SEC.

I say all that while the majority of the UT fanbase loves them some Butch Jones (from what I see on VN, Twitter, FB) so what do I know?

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Is this a duplicate of Bajakian's play calling matrix?

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Reeves-Maybin just physically wore down. I think he played about 95% of the defensive snaps and every special teams.

10. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

That gives me slight hope for the bowl game. This team needs some rest.

11. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Yeah, they asked a lot out of him.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Now that is funny, I don't care who you are.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

the UF and UGA games would have looked different. UGA sucked.

14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

As if it was an option not to improve from 2013.

15. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Am I missing something? It looks like it shows improvement.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Wasn't he the guy coaching in 2013 or did I miss something?

18. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Yeah, but first year doesn't count at Tennessee because job is too difficult. And years 2, 3, and 4 are not graded on wins and losses, but on how many twitter followers coach can get and how catchy his slogans are.

Given that criteria, you'd be nuts to think Butch has been any less than a slam dunk so far. Freakin' coined "brick by brick" and secured an official visit from Lil' John. We're lucky to have him.

19. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Y'all are dorks

20. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

The real question is if Butch gained any coaching points. He blew all his upgrades on recruiting and didn't have any left for game management.