Pruitt learning to be a head coach

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Butthole, Sep 24, 2018.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Coaching 101: When speaking publicly...

You lose, it's on you. When you win, it's on the players.

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

It’s not that hard, but our last two coaches never could seem to grasp that.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

That's because deep down both had serious insecurities because they knew they didn't belong.

Jury is still out on Pruitt, but the guy knows he can do the job. His next two recruiting classes will determine if he's right or wrong.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Woulda loved to play for Pruitt.
    If a coach prepares you to be in position to make a play, make it, or let somebody else. Hes taking the blame like a good HC, but for [uck fay]s sake, dont whiff on a block, drop the ball or stare at it while it's floating and it's a 21 point swing the wrong direction. Doeant seem like he has many "natural" players to work with. Alontae, Callaway, ty are smoothe. Most others look like non athletes.

5. Savage Orange

I still say we’re going to look back on this whole coaching search ordeal and say “Whew!! Glad we ended up with THAT guy!”... It may take a couple of seasons to get there, but we’ll get there.

6. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I will keep saying this...if he at least recruits to the level butch did his first 2 years, I see no way he cant win big here. If Butch Jones can get us in a position to win the east, as terrible as he was, this guy is gonna do well here.

Memtownvol, NYY and justingroves like this.
  7. Savage Orange

My other thought is that if Pruitt does for us what he’s been able to help other programs do, it’ll be Fulmer’s greatest contribution to UT other than the ‘98 natty...

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think so too.

Savage Orange likes this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If you look at his track record, he recruited 5 starters on UGA's defense and at least one on their offense. He's the reason Jalen Ramsey went to FSU. He can get the Jimmy and Joes.

NYY likes this.
  10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I tell my guys all the time, if you do what I ask you to do and fail, I'll wear it. Just go play.You'd be surprised what you can get out of guys when they know they won't have to take the hit for their failures.

Now you don't go with the call and do your own thing? You are going to take a monumental ass chewing.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I agree. He is going to have to do a little better job delegating, though.

New HCs have to fight that from day one. They rarely get that mix right from the start. It is much easier to have to figure out what to give up, then to have to try and stomp the gas pedal and get it cranked back up.

I'll compare what he's going through now to any rookie playing in just about any sport. The game is too fast for him right now. It'll slow down. Just hope sooner rather than later.

Memtownvol and BigOrangeBeech like this.
  12. Savage Orange

It’s kind of an odd feeling being optimistic about the future of the program and even odder to feel good about the coach... I can’t remember being really happy about a new hire since Majors came home in ‘76 but I was only 10 years old...what the hell did I know??

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I haven't really felt optimistic since the UGA game in 2009.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

How can you expect them to execute? Do you know how many of these kids have never played a football game in the state of Georgia?

Memtownvol and lylsmorr like this.
  15. BigOrangeBeech

Yep, I mean hes got a good class right now, add Wright and a few others and it will be a great start. And as the results follow it will only improve and he'll consistently have us in or at least around a top 5 class every year.

16. BigOrangeBeech

No doubt. I'm sure he'll get a lot of advice moving forward, hopefully he listens to the right people. I've worked with people in a lot of different fashions and from a leadership standpoint, you enlist about 90% of your problems. You have to train and recruit people you know that you can turn things over to and let them run with it. It makes everybody look better in the end.

NYY likes this.
  17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Hire people to put out the small fires. Come get me when the house is burning or something that could burn it down.

Volgrad98 and BigOrangeBeech like this.
  18. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Somebody better tell him coaches aren't the ones that throw interceptions and miss tackles per toos.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I remember in Fulmer's last days people saying this as well as "It isn't like he has forgotten how to coach!"

Well, apparently he did, in my mind.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He never learned how to coach. Not without Cutcliffe.

TDVol1989 likes this.