Question to the Christians of the board

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lylsmorr, Jun 27, 2015.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Is there even an argument that he didn't exist? Serious question.

2. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I don't know a lot about him. I discovered the podcasts thing one day on my iPhone when I was bored and fooling with it and stumbled upon him. Him and TD Jakes put some good stuff on there IMO.

At the expense of derailing the thread, the Men in Blazer's podcasts are good, too.

3. kidbourbon

3 hours? Damn, that'd be a long ass service.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

plenty of people think he didn't exist even as a historical figure. there is evidence outside of the bible that he did, but much of it was written well after his death. as far as I can remember, there is nothing from his lifetime that validates his existence. (obviously anyone here that knows otherwise can feel free to comment)

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ha. yeah I suppose. but factor in getting dressed for church, traveling, time before service, service, time after service, etc and you are looking at a good chunk of time.

6. kidbourbon

My mom likes Joel Osteen. I think Joel Osteen is clearly delivering some uplifting inspirational messages that help people in their lives. I do not think Joel Osteen is doing anything loosely resembling preaching the word of God insofar as preaching the word of God has its roots in communicating a principle from the bible.

I think Joel Osteen, as an exammple, decides he wants to give a sermon about having a positive attitude, and so he writes that sermon without any reference to the bible whatsoever, and then an hour before he gives the sermon he finds some guy form the bible who had a good attitude and he mentions him in the first sentences and then proceeds as planned.*

*I don't actually think this is how he does it, but I think he might as well be doing it this way

7. kidbourbon

Well what the hell do I know then? I didn't think there was a question as to whether Jesus was an actual human being who walked the earth. If he wasn't, then who are all those books about?

8. kidbourbon

I hate church and I always have.

9. kidbourbon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

11. kidbourbon

To argue he didn't exist as a historical figure would basically be akin to saying that he was a fictional character. But I find that hard to believe. It's much easier to embellish the truth about somebody who does exist than to create a make-believe person out of the blue and then have a half dozen different people all writing somewhat overlapping accounts of this abracadabra'd Harry Potter-esque Jesus. Yeah, not buying it. He was a real person who was just maybe not quite as amazing as described.

Like The Beatles.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup. I agree

13. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

Yes, 150 hours a year is a ton of time

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Let's be fair, it is if you don't enjoy it and get nothing out of it.

EDIT:

Think of it this way: that is one month of work hours. Imagine taking one month off from work to go listen to some guy talk about something you find completely uninteresting or untrue, like say, how crystals will make your life better if you wear them.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  15. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Fortress of Solitude kind of morning?

16. NorrisAlan

I am afraid I don't understand, unless you are referring to the crystal stuff and

[​IMG]

17. OrangeEmpire

Ya think?

18. NorrisAlan

It is a cold and rainy day here in East Tennessee. I am a little slow this morning :p

19. OrangeEmpire

Superman

QVC

20. OrangeEmpire

Weather is killing our pool time

I need to move