Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ha, that also makes sense.

Poppa T likes this.
  2. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Kind of hard to take rankings seriously when the B10 offenses are so bad. The Iowa defense is good, but they're ranked 5th overall mainly because of the teams they've played. Here are the rankings of the offenses that Iowa has played this year.

22nd
    86th
    78th
    93rd
    125th
    67th
    75th
    122nd
    121st
    120th
    59th
    124th
    66th

Pretty easy to see that their defensive ratings are inflated due to the lack of decent competition that they have faced this season.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Agreed that is why I take Finebaum and HornyMcFrog with a grain of salt. With that said I believe Finebaum has a little more credibility than HornyMcFrog.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's what gets me when people compare teams' stats and efficiencies. The schedules are so far apart that it doesn't mean a lot beyond within-conference comparisons. And maybe I'll eat crow, but the Big 10 looks weaker than ever.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If this was about $$ then just shut the whole thing down, because this is supposed to be a sporting championship, not a commercial.

"Sorry, Seattle Seahawks and Atlanta Falcons, you just don't have the national following we are looking for, so we are going to put the Packers and the Giants in instead."

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't tug on that analogy too hard... Some claim there is that influence in the NFL.

7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I guess what I don't understand is why committee put FSU in front of UGA, and for that matter Ohio.

Did they really think a FSU moral victory of being 5th would make it OK?

IP likes this.
  8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Only way to make that happen would be through the refs, and I just don't see that in the NFL. I know Tom Grossi does the NFL Script Writer skit every week, but that is just what it is, a skit.

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Big10 definitely lacked offense this year but its hard to do when so many of the teams in the conference also have the top ranked defenses. You can watch Michigan and see how legit their secondary is and their D line. Milroe probably had the game of his life against Georgia and even that was barely enough. I don't see him killing it against Michigan but we will see I guess.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Who in the conference took that top defense and got results out of conference? I guess UM over UNLV and OSU over Notre Dame? I think that is end of list. That's not great. So a top ranked defense doesn't mean anything if y0u are not playing any good offenses. Your argument doesn't work for OOC, and they didn't play much offense OOC either. Which is incredible given the number of teams in that conference times the number of OOC opponents.

11. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I never thought I would say this, but I guess I would like to see a PAC <insert #> win it all.

I despise Bama, Michigan and I don't want Texas coming into SEC feeling more entitled than they already do.

Memtownvol and utvol0427 like this.
  12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It’s not about the current money though. It’s about driving these rating and numbers up to use in future rights and advertising negotiations.

JT5 likes this.
  13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I agree the argument doesn't work for OOC but that is why I said the Big10 offenses. Did you watch Michigan play at all? Do you think their D is one of the best in the country?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think their D is definitely solid, but it has not been challenged much. The only decent offensive teams they have played are UNLV and Ohio State. Whatever you think of McCord, he statistically had his worst season this year.

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

They are 100% zone team and will blitz from it. Likely we will have a lot of 3rd and mediums but I don’t believe they faced many offenses like ours that can run the ball or flip it out wide like we do.

16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Rose Bowl tickets are $600+ after fees to get in upper deck. There’s little chance imo fsu woulda been the same.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Why would this committee be concerned about that? It goes to 12 teams next year basically doing away with their job.

I teld to think it can be explained by occams razor - Hey guys, we cannot have another TCU type situation.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
  18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

McAfee explains his Gameday pick where he "Called the Dawgs" and then picked Bama

emainvol likes this.
  19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

TCU beat Michigan.

Memtownvol likes this.
  20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

65 - 7