Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Unless you are not in the power 5. Then you don't get a playoff. You are eliminated already at the start of the season. The last time UCF lost a game, Obama was President. Are they good enough to win the title? Not this year. But maybe last year.

zehr27 likes this.
  2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

No they weren’t.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

And you can't prove that. "Playoffs"

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There is no need to prove that. No one other than UCF fans and people looking to get dogs in on Bama is curious about who would win that matchup.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, I think it is more that people are not really interested in a playoff. We should quit calling what we have a playoff. It isn't. It's a double-decker BCS beauty pageant.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, I’m not really interested in seeing Bama beat UCF by 35.

7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Most impressive losers in the country.

“We lose so good, we deserve a chance to lose again!”

Memtownvol likes this.
  8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Army gonna hang 50 today?

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Also, am i the only one who under no circumstance would play nd state?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Some find watching UGA lose to Bama more interesting than seeing another team, say UCF or someone, lose to Bama. I guess it's a traditions thing.

11. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

No, it’s a Bama would beat UCF by 60 thing.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

We should just cancel CFB.

13. RockyHill

Look, I know it seems, and everybody says, that they’ll never let a G5 in. I don’t buy it. The powers that pull strings might not like it, but if it was clear UCF deserved to be in then they’d be in, imo.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I would rather have a structure that guarantees fairness.

15. RockyHill

What does that even look like, in your opinion?

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Not likely. Ohio State got in undeservedly because they traveled better than whoever the other option was

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Conference champions of the P-5, highest AP-ranked non-power 5 who is a conference champion, 2 at-larges chosen by committee. No more. No less. Don't care if Northwestern beats OSU. They won their conference, OSU didn't. There are still 2 at-larges for when some extenuating series of events mucked up a P-5 team that should have won their conference or was paired against a bama type. It sends a message: win your conference. That's the message. If your non-power 5, win your conference and if you make your case through the season you can get your crack at the title.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

But it is much easier to pretend they will let a G-5 in.

19. RockyHill

You want to see Northwestern or whatever team pulled off a fluke win play in the playoff? Why?

I’d much rather go with eliminating conference championships and do an 8 team playoff where the first game is played on the high seed’s campus.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because I am interested in:

1) fair competition. Don't call it a playoff championship when there are teams walking around that never lost a game and were excluded from the playoffs.

2) The unexpected and low probability happening. Boise State's "Statue of Liberty" game against Oklahoma is one of the most memorable college football bowls in recent memory. We have nailed the door shut on meaningful major upsets by only taking 4 beauty queens. You say a G-5 team, if good enough, would not be excluded. I disagree. They'll always be limited by not having a P-5 schedule and thus not be "good enough." And even if they go years without losing, the time they do it will be "told you so" despite it being a different season entirely.