Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I just had a PSU fan and an OSU fan defend his decision.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Lol, what was the defense? Seems like defending not looking both ways before crossing the street.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

This has been a pleasant Saturday not sure why

InVolNerable and IP like this.
  4. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Man, for all the hype that came from landing superstar head coaches, Michigan, Nebraska, Texas are in the same mediocre shitpile that we're in.

5. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

That it is conventional wisdom to kick the XP when you're up by 7. Yeah, maybe in the 2nd quarter.

The OSU guy said Penn State had a bunch to lose. Yeah, they lost it, and they might have still lost it if the didn't get the two. But if they did get the two, there was no time for Indiana to score twice and the game is over...

6. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

I think Nebraska is kind of doomed. They’re just too far away from any fertile recruiting grounds. Michigan is easily the most overrated program in the history of college football. Texas is a real head scratcher. Strong stunk and I guess Herman does too.

IP likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Honestly the perception of Texas vs the reality of Texas over about 100 years is an interesting study. Id argue they’re even more overrated than Michigan

SetVol13, IP and TennTradition like this.
  8. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Let's assume going for 2 is 50/50 and the PAT is 100%. Let's assume you will give up a TD and the other team plays for OT instead of to win in regulation. Three scenarios:

You fail the 2 point conversion. You lost a 50/50. The other team sends it to overtime. Odds of winning: 50%, Odds of OT: 50%
    You kick the PAT. The other team scores and is forced into a 50/50. Odds of winning: 50%, Odds of OT: 50%
    You make the 2 point conversion. You won a 50/50. The other team has to score faster, convert an onside kick, and score again, which we'll assume they can't do. Odds of winning: 50%, Odds of OT: 50%

2 pt. conversion rate is estimated between 40-55%, so while overly simplified, I don't think it's far off. This is for the NFL with longer PATs, and it slightly favors the PAT up 7 irrespective of time remaining (it has PATs at 95% and 2PC at 48%). The graphs with time included are too small and busy, but it looks like up 7 at the end of the game, they suggest going for 2 if you are maybe top 20% at converting them and kicking if not.

I could maybe see the argument that if you're giving up a TD that fast, you aren't stopping the conversion either. Other than that, I lean towards judgment call based on how good you think your 2PC is vs. theirs, if your kicking team sucks, etc.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

How important is qb? ask Clemson. And Bama. And Ga, osu, oregon, florida, louisville, fsu, miami...

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don’t really need to ask anyone

InVolNerable likes this.
  11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Brian Kelly has been at Notre Dame for 11 years?

Sheesh

12. NorrisAlan

Harbaugh has shocked me.

13. Ssmiff

Rhetoricali

14. Ssmiff

Gross

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Texas is right there with Michigan in terms of being overrated. They haven't done jack shit since integration

TCU is 7-2 against them since joining the Big 12

SetVol13 and IP like this.
  16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

and LSU. He has pulled a Guarantano today.

IP likes this.
  17. NorrisAlan

Lsu has really come back to earth.

Orgeron get Chizik'd next year?

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I have no idea what UK was doing with UGA today. They seemed to be playing for the time of possession victory today; forgetting that you need to score.

No urgency all game long.

19. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Eh Texas won a national title and played for another one in the BCS era and has produced way better players than Michigan.

I’ve honestly been trying to think of good NFL players from Michigan other than Brady and Woodson over the last 20-30 years and can’t think of any. And they barely even let Brady play there haha. Who are some others?

20. NorrisAlan

Their last drive was bizarre. Down two scores and throwing two yard crossing routes and then walking up to the line letting twelve seconds roll off.