Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Bill Clark stepping down at UAB. He's got to have a spinal fusion and can't handle the head coaching ability.

2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Hah, what a [ussy pay]. Football used to be a man's game; a little spinal fusion used to just be sitting out a quarter or two.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They are, especially when the coach is a recovering alchohol

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Just get a stool

reverendgeneral likes this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee won one (1) sec championship with him. I don't understand why this fanbase thinks he reinvented the game if football

InVolNerable likes this.
  6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Was too young to personally remember the Manning years, but have heard from others that we don’t win 98 natty and threaten in 99 & 01 without all the talent that followed in his wake. Many credit that influx of NFL talent across the board to how the 4 year Peyton circus placed Tennessee at the forefront within the college football universe. I get the narrative that he sucked in big games both here and in NFL post season, but always thought growing up as both a Vol and NFL fan it was cool having one of the NFLs biggest star for nearly 20 years being connected to my University and state.

And as someone who doesn’t have an actual memory of Tennessee winning a single football SEC championship, if a Gypsy looked into a crystal ball and told me Nico will only win one SEC championship while he’s at UT, I think I’m happily taking it.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

When Tennessee stopped trying to win a Heisman for their qb, they won a national championship. The 97, 99 and 01 teams were talented enough to win a national title.

Hell, the 05 and 06 teams were too.

8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

05 was "talented" on paper, but them going 5-6 including an L to Vandy makes it impossible to fathom that team being capable of winning a natty. 2004 was more capable of a natty imo.

2006 sure. The Florida loss that year was one of the more sickening losses I can remember. Between the pick 6 being criminally negated for Mitchell merely tapping Leak's helmet right after he threw the ball, the blown two possession fourth lead, and the birth of the legend of Tim Tebow because we couldn't [uck fay]ing stop him from moving the chains on the same 3rd down QB power play they ran 12 times, we simply had no business losing to them that night. If replay had existed in 2006, we beat LSU because JaMarcus Russel fumbled before he was down on the last drive. That loss was a kick in the sack too. If we beat LSU and Florida in 06, pretty sure we would have played in ATL for a spot in the natty game at 11-1 vs OSU even despite the Arky blowout loss.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

That 05 defense is unironically one of the best of all time. They had no help on the other side.

10. CardinalVol

05 and 08 defenses were nasty. Even below average offenses turn those years into pretty good seasons.

11. CardinalVol

Getting Peyton started that 90s run. Talent brings talent. Something tells me it's not the same with Brandon Stewart under center.

chavisut, NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Man, in 94 I was a HUGE Brandon Stewart guy, and couldn't understand why Manning was getting the starts.

One of the many wrong thoughts on my life.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  13. CardinalVol

Then he goes and beats Kansas State on Bog 12 title game in 98.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Garner recruiting every starter outside of Peyton helped too

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Al Wilson was a Vol regardless of Peyton, he's the biggest driver in winning things that mattered in the 90's

OneForVol and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  16. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

This is absolutely true. I didn't understand this for a long time but once you get a glimpse of locker room dynamics, you get the impact of Al Wilson. Most don't get it but it's why the Miami Hurricanes were so so so good for an extended period of time. Through no great design by a particular HC or AD, they had locker room generals year after year that commanded excellence from everyone around them.

17. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I’ve witnessed Tennessee win two SEC championships. I’m not gonna discredit one like it’s not a very big deal.

We’ll be lucky to see Tennessee ever be be mid 90’s good again.

I’m a Manning mark.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Andy Kelly won an SEC title in 1990 and Heath Shuler finished second in the Heisman in 1993. I'm not discrediting Manning, but there's a whole lot more to the 90's than him.

SetVol13 and CitrusCo.Vol like this.
  19. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Absolutely.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  20. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

And 2012 was the polar opposite. If we simply replicate the defensive production of Wilcox’s 2011 squad (believe that defense finished around 30th nationally) that team is damn special. But alas, we had one of the biggest idiots to ever prowl an SEC sideline who managed to run off every single assistant from the previous year minus Coach Thompson while convincing himself it would be smart to ram a 3-4 scheme into a roster made for 4-3 with a raving lunatic in Sunseri.