POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not being able to think of a more believable name than "Matthew Phoenix" should be an additional charge.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

High prices.

Besides the pandemic year it was the lowest summer demand for gasoline since the 90’s which lead to a built up inventory of gasoline.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

High supply caused high prices which then dropped prices, thanks.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I believe gas demand has dropped. Have to think inflation plays some part in that, leading to drop in gas prices. Also have to think that the world accepting the current state of Russia/Ukraine has taken some of the fear out of the commodity as well.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just have to wonder if this wasn't an engineered domestic price spike to make up for losses during the pandemic. And it was engineered by not ramping back up refining until the price rose.

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I thought TT said we have remained an near full refining capacity the whole time.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if the refiners had the ability to do that why didn't they do it for the 20 years prior?

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ve heard a few times that $4/gal seems to be the line that starts to change people’s behavior

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I saw 6.89 on the east side of Glacier when I was out there. That threw the whole family for a shock.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Buying it in Italy is fun

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

When did they have a supply glut?

12. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I don't know about oil/gas industry specifically but I'd imagine the answer for this type of thing in general might be:

1) As our entire government/financial system has gotten more corrupt in the past 20 years there's a lot of things corporations are doing now that they likely could not have 20 years ago
    2) There's just no shame anymore and it's gotten way worse since the onset of covid.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

To be clear, I don't think these companies even lost money from COVID at this point. I think they've made up the difference between shortfalls and the boon of the past several months. How amazing!

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Uh lots of times throughout history

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the financial system has never been more regulated than it is today.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

refiners generally don’t make big money. It’s more like a supermarket model. They tend to lose money every decade or so when unexpected things happen. There’s a reason why all the major oil companies spun off their refining operations.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Totally unrelated. No connections or influences.

18. HCKevinSteele

“Financial system” was a poor term to use on my part. There are a million examples available though to demonstrate that we’ve been backsliding in terms of being able to introduce or enforce regulations that prevent corporations from doing all manner of shit that they should not be doing that is ultimately harmful to consumers/the country as a whole, whether directly or indirectly.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That’s because of cronyism and the politically powerful and large corporate players basically working together to control the game.

We’re at a historical turning period for peak centralization and I think we’re about to see a decentralization movement. Hopefully that will fix a lot of our systematic issues and level the game a bit.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  20. HCKevinSteele

What makes you think decentralization is on the horizon? In some of the industries where centralization has been most extreme I could see it but on the whole I’m skeptical.