POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Fwiw, this tweet summarizes the narrative that Russia State media propaganda is selling on this issue.

2. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Produce more revenue(and actually turn a profit) and they’ll get higher salaries.

NorrisAlan, ole_orange and VolDad like this.
  3. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Family guy summed it up pretty well a while back.

VolDad likes this.
  4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

How can they keep getting away with just rebroadcasting Fox News? We've gotta shut that down.

5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Their earning power here is what the free market dictates the worth of their labor is. I don’t fault American society for women’s basketball not paying as well as other places will. Some oligarch is willing to pay professional women basketball players more than the WNBA can afford to pay them.

Why do our best soccer players like Pulisic have to go to England to make as much money as they possibly can playing the sport? Why do the best baseball players throughout the world have to move to America to maximize their earning capacity? Going wherever on Earth the most money is to be had is a reality of every sport in the world regardless of gender.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    NorrisAlan, zehr27 and justingroves like this.
  6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

People that are bothered by this inequality need to step up to the plate and start buying WNBA season tickets and actually watch their games. Almost nobody who complains about WNBA pay inequity ever personally invests their own time and money into the sport.

NorrisAlan, justingroves and VolDad like this.
  7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The dirty secret is women basketball players have been playing for stupid money in Russia for decades because many of those teams were laundering factories for mafia types. I don't knock women like Griner going over there to get paid well, but the narrative out there is a bit incomplete.

8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Makes sense. Women's basketball in Russia actually being a stand alone entity that financially sustains itself would be surprising to learn. Can't fault WNBA players for taking a bite out of that apple.

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

So Dooz is advocating that organized crime syndicates take over USA women basketball?!?

zehr27, justingroves and ole_orange like this.
  10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Okay.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Somewhere around two thirds of NBA owners are worth at least a billion dollars with many worth far more than that, but yes, it is the fans who need to do something more. Which one of their payrolls are you on?

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Those dudes didn’t make billions by flushing money down the crapper. Which is what the WNBA is more or less.

VolDad, justingroves and ole_orange like this.
  13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I doubt an extra 500k to a million bucks from each one into the league’s salary “pool” is going to put any of them into financial peril.

But they definitely want the average joe to think that it will, so the average joe will continue to stump for their money.

14. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

This is something I would expect to read from a high schooler. Good lord.

VolDad, zehr27 and ole_orange like this.
  15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’ll try harder to stick up for billionaires going forward.

16. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

You cannot actually be serious with this take. You think it's on the owners and not the free market to determine what WNBA players should be paid? Beyond idiotic way of thinking about this. Completely detached from the reality of basic economics.

The janitorial staff that cleans these NBA arenas owned by these owners are paid a lot less than the players. They-like the WNBA-do not generate any profit, but gosh darnit if those mean ole greedy billionaire owners would just fork over an extra 500k or so to each member of their janitorial staff there would be a little more fairness in the world!

VolDad and zehr27 like this.
  17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Somebody think of the billionaires!

The janitors probably should earn more money too.

18. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

It's not even about "sticking up for billionaires". It's about thinking your Utopian fantasy that just because NBA owners are rich they are expected to personally subsidize a professional sports league that attracts maybe a few hundred fans in person and maybe a few more thousand TV viewers nationwide on a good night is nothing but ludicrous. Some arguments, like this one, just aren't worth advocating for. The silliness.

VolDad likes this.
  19. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I think it's bed time. This just isn't a serious take worthy of actual debate
    [​IMG]

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yes silly me for thinking labor should get more money and ownership should get less. In fact, next time I’m offered a raise, I’m going to suggest our CEO take the money instead.