POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If you want to get rid of cartels, you have to really help the Mexican economic picture. The reason cartels exist isn't because we haven't murdered them all yet.

JudgmentVol and warhammer like this.
  2. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Do we even know who all exactly needs murdering though? Sure the heads of the crime families are obvious targets and need to go, but what about all the ununiformed foot soldiers we have no way of accounting for? These are sophisticated and ambiguous criminal networks that operate both on every level of the Mexican govt and every aspect of the Mexican economy. The results of war doesn't always equate to a better economy. And lord knows how much we have sucked overall recently at "rebuilding" the economies of places we start wars in.

My ultimate fear would be something even worse occupies the vacuum left over. Whether that be new, even worse Cartels or the election of a Mexican govt that becomes truly hostile to all things USA. Or a combo of both. "The Cartel" has a folklore-like perception with many Mexicans down there. Not everyone in Mexico hates "the cartel"

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I don't watch a lot of television shows, so maybe I'm not the world's biggest expert on cartels, but I can say with pretty good confidence that the US military, with good intelligence, could lay waste to pretty much every cartel in Mexico and be done in time for the 4th.

4. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Hope so. Just highly doubt it's that easy should we ever actually do something about the situation south of the border. Wars not going according to plan is pretty much how most wars unfold.

5. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

I don't understand your distinction. Your disagreement with the first part seems like the exact, same argument you're making, to me.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Send the jobs from China there while killing the cartel and legalize marijuana federally.

You can solve the "immigration crisis" by giving them jobs before they get here. Now, spoiled ass mother[uck fay]ers that consider themselves too good for manual labor can pay or figure it out themselves

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not making a distinction. I'm saying there have been suppressed variations all along. Be the left handed or queer/trans people. I think the uptick is due to the removal of rigid norms enforcement, not due to some cultural recruitment. You could make me not use my left hand, but I'd still be left handed. But left handed isn't going to be so cool that right handed kids just decide to be bad at everything and switch. Same with the other stuff.

8. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

I guess I'd just had classified both those definitions as the same thing. 'Rigid norms enforcement' seems like another way of saying 'cultural recruitment,' but I'm not really trying to argue a point as it aligns with my thoughts.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't think about it that way, and now see what you mean. Will need to think more on it. My impression is that there was an active force and now there is not. But is suppose it could be two opposing passive things

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I suppose, in Florida, this is less dangerous than library books. To be serious, though, shouldn't they really revisit and reconsider the "Stand Your Ground" law?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Steel manning: we have this footage but we can't see the other driver or outside the car. This case is just one instance, as well. The stronger evidence for re-examination of stand your ground is that it correlates with increased gun murders

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

PFTCommenter is a national treasure.

ole_orange likes this.
  13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Remind me not to take sporting advice from Grandpa Joe.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I appreciate the Tennessee over Duke. Obama would never.

15. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Haha Obama definitely was a Duke sycophant annually with his brackets.

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

If I remember right, Obama's security guy was a former Duke player.

17. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Yes, Reggie Love. Although he was more of a personal aide than security guy.

18. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

He also frequents Duke games in person every now and then. I remember he was at the infamous Zion shoe malfunction game vs UNC. O loves him some Duke basketball.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

He frequents them every now and then?

20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yeah, he's always there occasionally.