POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is my county. Some here are butt hurt that Americans of Asian ancestry in particular are absolutely killing it here, and have taken it to the absurd. There is a reckoning coming, the vast majority see this as racist. Worse was Thomas Jefferson high selectively not notifying national merit scholars of their awards earlier this year. I'll put all angry Korean moms on the school board if that is what it takes to not let doors get closed based on race.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  2. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Even I’ve heard of Thomas Jefferson HS from afar before, legendary HS known for academic excellence. Surprising to see them associated with something as dumb as factoring in race when considering who and who doesn’t qualify for college admission exam prep classes. And not to stereotype myself, but a school board full of Angry Korean moms would probably help any district obtain more badass academic achievements across the board. The Asian-American sub culture generally does not [uck fay] around when it comes to taking their studies seriously.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

A guy I went to school with was on that show. He was a very large, flamboyant (think twirling a flaming baton 30 feet in the air in the middle of campus) black man from Mississippi named Reggie when we both attended the same all-male college. Now he's apparently a drag queen named Silky Nutmeg Ganache.

I don't get it, but it sounds like he makes bank, so good for him! lol

SetVol13, justingroves and gcbvol like this.
  4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

LOL! I am very familiar with Silky.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I wasn't close with him by any means. Wabash is a small school, but I doubt he would even know who I was.

I just find it hilarious that the beginning of the story is Reggie from Mississippi, and the end of the story is Silky Nutmeg Ganache, drag queen. What were the chances of that? lol

gcbvol likes this.
  6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Interracial? But I made that stuff up. That's what was said here just a few months ago. I made it up and am just super biased.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Marriage equality is technically the law of the land thanks to the Respect for Marriage Act, which President Joe Biden signed in December. But Tennessee’s bill exploits a major loophole in that law. Critics had long warned that the Respect for Marriage Act did not go far enough. The bill had been amended during the debate process to say that religious organizations do not have to marry same-sex couples, and the law also does not require states to actually issue same-sex marriage licenses.

9. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Yea on the surface I'm not a fan of this potential law at all...the Reps are gonna have to answer some very specific questions on this one. Religious people should not be compelled to conduct marriages that go against their religious beliefs, sure. But govt officials being allowed to deny any marriage whatsoever no matter what is a whole new can of worms.

From what little research I've done so far the *spin* is this is about county clerks stepping in to prevent elderly people who are clearly no longer mentally with it from marrying a young person with malicious intentions of robbing the estate belonging to the elderly person they are trying to marry. While that specific intent may be admirable, everything about this is going to be a really hard sell to make publicly based on how the law itself here is written. Definitely worth monitoring closely and voicing concerns/need for clarity to any GOP state assembly member representing your consistency.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This is a bullshit law. I love my state but a portion of the people in it are reactionary bigots that just cannot help meddle in the private sex lives of their fellow Tennesseeans.

Poppa T and The Dooz like this.
  11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm not a fan of this law by any means. If they want to allow the clerks to be able to question or deny marriages based on the mental capacity of one or both of the couple, it should spell that out in specific terms.

I'm really not a fan of government being involved in marriage at all, but that's jmo. It's an ugly necessity.

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  12. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

True in an ideal world marriage would just be a religious institutional thing as originally intended. But this isn't an ideal world and we can't live in a world where govt isn't involved in marriages given all the legal ramifications built into the institution of marriage. Everything about this screams a visit to the US Supreme Court is inevitable should it actually pass as is and become law of the land in Tennessee.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Only because we built it this way.

14. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

True. Is what it is now. You have to truly love and trust someone before legally binding yourself 50/50 sharing ownership of all your assets. I see why so many couples now simply date long term and are hesitant to ever officially marry.

15. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

The more things change ...

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Some major jumps made in that "article" but I suppose I see the issue of the county clerks being one.

Theoretically a good ol' traditional white and white heterosexual marriage could be outlawed too based on religious convictions (see previous divorce) using her logic, but that's not mentioned.

ole_orange and justingroves like this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

You are right but that is just one more problem.

18. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

It's just more culture war stuff. I believe the GOP sees it as the best strategy for 24 (DeSantis certainly does), so there will be more to come.

BTW, I'm not saying only GOP plays the culture war. It's just what they're pushing now to regain control in DC.

19. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I have noticed that the conservatives that want government out of the marriage business seem to have no issue with their married filing jointly reduced tax rate.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's where we as a country [uck fay]ed up, it never should have been done.

ole_orange likes this.