Recommended YouTube Channels / Podcasts

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

For maybe two years or so, outside of live sporting events, I've been watching less than an hour of "live" TV each week, and I can't think of anything I watch on any of the Big 4 networks, at all (live or taped). Instead, I watch a lot of DVR stuff, AppleTV, YouTube Channels, etc. And while driving, I

So, I thought that a thread of recommended "alternatives" might be of some entertaining value.

2. Tenacious D

Podcasts:
    You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes - basically sit-down interviews, in an informal style, with celebrities / persons of interest. There are many, many comedians interviewed on the show. Really good.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I like Vsauce

https://www.youtube.com/user/Vsauce

It is a channel by a guy that just goes over strange observations and science.

And as a math geek, I also like Numberphile

https://www.youtube.com/user/numberphile

But it probably isn't for everyone :)

And finally, the only "live" show I watch outside of sports I actually watch on line, which is Fox's Gotham. it is a really good show.

4. Tenacious D

YouTube Channel: Wranglerstar
    Probably my favorite YouTube channel for over a year now. Basically, a man and his wife live in Oregon (I believe), find religion and leave their "normal" lives, quit their jobs, and go live as homesteaders. They live and maintain a forest preserve, so there's tons of stuff on forestry, axes, etc., but there's a lot on old tool restoration, which I like, as well (for some unknown reason). He'll have three episodes on restoring an apple press, and then an episode on making a homemade blacksmith forge, sustainable gardening, etc. It's not for everyone, and in fact, very little of it is of practical use to me, but I really enjoy it.

A sampling (his production value has increased exponentially over the last year or so):

[youtube]ZXrjhsAMhvU[/youtube]

5. MWR

MWR Contributor

I like Wranglerstar also. I'd recommend the shovel handle replacement video. That and his "Dangerous Things" video. :)

And since I've been watching his videos, I've put handles in about 15 shovels, 4 or 5 splitting mauls, and restored several hatchets and axes. Of course, I'm using the word restore rather loosely.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  6. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I knew I like you. Gotham started off fast and leveled off quickly but the last 4 story lines have been outstanding.

I like Sleepy Hollow but it's getting repetitive. The bad guys really need a win.

7. Tenacious D

Youtube Channel: Prager University
    This channel is associated with Dennis Prager, a notably conservative radio talk show host and syndicated columnist. I say this, first, because it's true, and secondly, so as to be clear in the understanding of its political bent. What I most like about the channel is that it is in the CPGrey style (more on this channel, in a moment), meaning, the episodes are very short, have maximum clarity, and are graphic intensive. While it could be argued that some topics are too intricate for a 5-minute video, and that they must be over-simplified to fit that criteria, I'd urge you to watch a couple, and judge for yourself. They tackle topics like the decision to drop the bombs on Japan, the Israeli / Palestinian conflict, the war in Vietnam, how teachers unions affect the educational system, and a range of other topics, each largely political, and again, from a notably right-leaning source.

It's only recently bounced up on my radar, but here are a couple of my early favorites:

[youtube]7VBAEJlR4pk[/youtube]

[youtube]cNtz5wgnopQ[/youtube]

[youtube]8EDW88CBo-8[/youtube]

8. Tenacious D

YouTube Channel: CPGrey
    My most favorite means of understanding the basics of curious and oftentimes intricate questions. The "beauty" of this channel is that the videos not only deftly and simply explain a variety of questions, but many of which, you may have never even considered, yourself. It's left-leaning to middle-of-the-road on the political scale, informative and highly educational. In fact, as Google continues to see YouTube as an educational medium, first and foremost, it is CPGrey whom they've sought out in advising them as to how best to do so (as you can see in the embedded video, below...which CPGrey produced for Google, at their request).

[youtube]7vsCAM17O-M[/youtube]
    [youtube]OUS9mM8Xbbw[/youtube]
    [youtube]y5UT04p5f7U[/youtube]

9. Tenacious D

YouTube Channel: Mental Floss
    Like a video version of one of those "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader" books. Topics are all over the place, presented in a quick, informative and entertaining format. Highly recommend.

A sampling:

[youtube]gNi2qkLZp7c[/youtube]
    [youtube]kxIGlMrrhQM[/youtube]

10. Tenacious D

YouTube Channel & Podcast (Audio and Video): Kevin Pollack's Chat Show
    In-depth, one-on-one interviews with the famous and infamous, by long-standing B-lister / comedian Kevin Pollack. Really interesting stuff.

A sampling:

[youtube]fSbbZCZhBss[/youtube]

11. Tenacious D

YouTube Channel & Podcast: The Ricky Gervais Show
    Hosted by Ricky Gervais & Stephen Merchant (originators of The Office [BBC and USA]), and featuring their real-life, too-great-to-be-true friend Karl Pilkington, a typical Brit in most regards, but who has an especially strong bent toward simple worldviews, laziness, etc. He hates crowds, strangers, and as he describes it, "having fun". Basically, these began as simple podcasts, and they were so good that HBO purchased the rights, and simply animated them for re-airing on TV. Best of all, it spawned the show "An Idiot Abroad" (not sure of the network, but it is on Netflix streaming), where they send Karl around the world to complete a "bucket list" of sorts, and which is just replete with every cringe-worthy moment that you can imagine. Whether on YouTube, podcast or the TV show(s), would highly recommend.

A sampling:
    The Ricky Gervais Show
    [youtube]3d2VnZu70IY[/youtube]

From, "An Idiot Abroad", a highlight from Karl's trip to China, where he encounters his first in-ground toilet:
    [youtube]pTyxo5j4Hug[/youtube]

12. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Thanks for these suggestions, Tenny. Will definitely check these out. I used to view Mental Floss fairly regularly and recall good stuff.

13. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

My six year old watches youtube religiously. He literally knows of zero tv shows to watch. He uses my youtube account and has subscribed to Stampylongnose, iballisticsquid, and DiamondMinecart for daily minecraft vids. He also watches Evantube who demonstatrates the latest and greatest toys along with family vlogs.

The amount of subscribers these youtube channels generates brings in some serious revenue based on the number of views. PewDiePie is the number 1 youtube channel in the world and has already nearly 7 billion views to date.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My oldest is a disciple of Stampy.

15. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Amazing. I downloaded Stampys world for the PC version and my son knew every intricate detail when playing in it. He was able to tell if it was counterfeit or authentic.

16. MWR

MWR Contributor

Watching Wranglerstar make various tools, I got inspired. So I gathered up an old trailer hitch, a railroad spike and an old red oak 2x4 and built me a pickaroon. If any of you cut and burn your own firewood, I would recommend getting a pickaroon, or hookaroon, or whatever they are called. They make firewood stacking go a lot easier, especially on your back.

[​IMG]

17. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Comedically, HISHE (How it Should Have Ended) is awesome. Animated spoofs depicting alternate endings for movies:

[video=youtube;zdukWtJwlPU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdukWtJwlPU&index=88&list=UUHCph-_jLba_9atyCZJPLQQ[/video]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  18. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

[video=youtube;AXpcYvnV6GY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXpcYvnV6GY&list=UUHCph-_jLba_9atyCZJPLQQ[/video]

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Anyone listening to the Serial Podcast from NPR? Good stuff.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Hysterical.