Recommended YouTube Channels / Podcasts

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I listen to This American Life, occasionally. Never heard of Serial, but will check it out.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

This looks really good. BBC has a really interesting farming history one that puts archeologist and historians living like the time period they're covering.

4. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Agreed. Collectively, the Batman/Superman Cafe videos they have are hilarious. Definitely my favorite series of theirs.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Very very good.

Proof that radio done well is an enduring medium.

6. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I've recently rediscovered NPR and cannot figure out why I stopped listening. NPR has a lot of quality programming.

7. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

People, I've seen his work, do not believe this.

I will check this out. Believe it or not, I love old tools, specially wood working tools. I have many from my great grandfathers and grandfathers, a couple of which were carpenters.

MWR likes this.
  8. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

See what I mean.

9. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Thanks for this info TD, this to me is a great thread, more please.

Most of my Youtube time is spent on music, in particular practicing for gigs, or learning new songs. In case anyone is interested there are backing songs where you can play and or sing along.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

This video is hysterical. Do people really think it is that simple?

12. here to lurk

here to lurk Hidden Member

Serial is great. I actually have turned some of my ESL students onto it.

I loved WTF with Marc Maron, but it got to be too whiny and depressing for me. Prolly because I listened to it too often and over did it.

Not a podcast or youtube, but if you like interview biography type stuff Inside the actors studio with james Lipton is great

13. Tenacious D

It really is my favorite channel, for about a year.

He has an entire series on timber framing - it's excellent.

Basically, he goes to the library and checks out a book on timber framing, starts felling trees, uses a chainsaw to mill his own boards - great stuff. No idea why I like it so much, but I really enjoy it. He really is a craftsman.

As to restoration, he does hand tools like axes, adzes, chisels, etc. but he even takes on mechanical projects, too. He refurbished an old apple press, got an old 1940's water-cooled motor running, and several others, again, all excellent.

I'd recommend the videos "Not All Hoes Are Made Alike" where he makes his own hoe, and "A Belt for Jack".

14. Tenacious D

That really is excellent, MWR. I had never even heard of that thing until I saw Wranglerstar using it.

15. MWR

MWR Contributor

I've never seen before either. But it changed how I handle firewood.

16. MWR

MWR Contributor

I even tried to stack some of my firewood in those round wood stacks (I think the proper term is a Holz Hausen). Obviously, I have a lot to learn about the Holz Hausen style of wood stacking business. One of neighbors said these wood stacks were a "work of art", as he laughed out loud.

But it is the quickest way I've found to stack it. All you gotta stack is the outside donut. Then you can just throw the wood into the center and let it lay as it may. It cut my stacking time by over half.

[​IMG]

17. MWR

MWR Contributor

Ha ha. He called the hoe that was made in China "rubbish" and tossed it aside. Now that's entertainment. :)

18. MWR

MWR Contributor

I can't figure out exactly why, but I like this video.

[video=youtube;Esn0_eR9lnQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esn0_eR9lnQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's neat. You think any critters, like rodents, are going to set up shop in there though?

20. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

This might not be up your alley, but I use podcasts for EDM. There are about 10 big time DJs who do regular podcasts where they play their own new music and new stuff generally from other artists. It's a great resource if you like EDM. It's like a sirius station for EDM but for free.

My personal fav are the identity podcast by Sander Van Doorn and Epic Radio by Eric Prydz.