Red State Jesus or Blue State Jesus?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Nov 2, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Do you believe in a red state Jesus or a blue state Jesus? - CNN.com

Interesting article and quiz about how people see Christ and Christianity differently, and how that influences their politics. Or is it the other way around? I imagine some will find this controversial, but I recall from my church-going days this being readily apparent, if one is not aligned with a denomination that has a strict interpretation all must conform to.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Evenly split for me. Last question is the biggest one though.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Boy that was a waste of time. Just shows how misunderstood Jesus really is.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm listening.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

Gah, I don't know where to start.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Suspense!

8. JohnnyQuickkick

A few of them represent clear enough theological differences, and my understanding of Christianity puts me on the "red state" side, but I feel like these things aren't really connected to politics, i.e. Jesus dying for the sins of the world, or being the only way to receive salvation...these are things that are clearly stated in the Bible, and are irrelevant to politics.

I guess the long and the short of my objection to most of those questions is most of the "blue state" answers are theologically deficient, and I feel like "blue state" voters who are Christians would understand this. Maybe where I would differ from a "blue state Christian" would be more in how we believe some of these things should be implemented.

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

There were a lot of questions where a "both" was needed for me.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

So if you answer these questions according to the Bible you can't be consistently one or the other.

Do you believe Jesus was crucified because he was the Son of God who took upon himself the sins of mankind to save the world from God's wrath? Or do you believe Jesus was crucified because he preached radical social change that threatened the powerful and the wealthy?

Lamb of God Champion of the oppressed Biblically, both. But I picked A.

Do you believe Jesus was a healer who provided free universal health care to "the least of these," and so should our government? Or do you believe Jesus' statement, "My kingdom is not of this world," means Scripture can't be used to justify universal government health care?

Laying-on-hands Jesus Hands-off Jesus Definitely A. And the only reason I think you could give as a follower of Jesus to oppose universal health care is that you want to keep your money freed up to help real needs in Africa or something.

Do you believe that "salvation is found in no one else" besides Jesus? Or do you believe that "God is defined by Jesus but not confined to Jesus" and that Jesus embodies one of many paths to God?

One way One of many If Jesus is the Son of God who dies and rose again then I would be really surprised if God made other ways back to Himself/salvation . So I think mostly the one way. However, I don't think that everyone who is eventually saved will have "accepted Jesus as their Savior. The Bible says that Jesus was raised from the dead and will one day governt the world based on what we did --as in works/deeds. See Matthew 25 & Romans 2

Do you believe Jesus is going to return one day, descending from the clouds with an army of angels to fight the final battle between good and evil? Or are you focused on creating Jesus' kingdom "on earth as it is heaven" and not too worried about who's left behind or whether Jesus is coming back -- or perhaps never even left?

"Left Behind" Jesus Never left Jesus Never Left Jesus who is coming back in a more powerful way. The Left Behind stories are silly though and display a bad misreading of Revelation, prophecy, etc.

Do you think people who describe Jesus as prophetic mean that he had the ability to see into the future? Or do you think describing Jesus as "prophetic" meant that he was more of a prophet willing to speak truth to power and suffer the consequences?

Prophetic Jesus Prophet Jesus Both

Have you ever asked strangers if they've accepted Jesus as their Lord and savior? Or do you think of evangelism as more helping people in need and hoping they see Jesus in your actions?

Jesus as savior Jesus as example Both, but more the latter

Were you inspired by watching Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" because you thought it showed how much Jesus was willing to suffer to save mankind? Or were you revolted by Gibson's film and thought its long and bloody depiction of Jesus' death reflected Gibson's obsession?

Mel Gibson's Jesus Mel Gibson's obsession I think this question is silly and doesn't really belong. I do blieve in the truth of what the film displays, but personally only saw it once and would never watch it again.

Do you think the most important biblical passage that distills Jesus' message is John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son," and that salvation is determined by your acceptance of Jesus as savior? Or do you think it's Matthew 25: "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me," and that salvation is determined by how you treat the poor and vulnerable?

John 3:16 Matthew 25 Both, in a way. Salvation Now is determined by John 3:16. We can become children of God by believing in and then following Jesus. Matthew 25, however, is the ultimate way to avoid destruction on judgement day.

Have you ever rebuked an evil spirit in the name of Jesus? Or do you think the biblical stories of Jesus casting out demons were not literally true but metaphors for Jesus' ability to make broken people whole again?

Jesus the exorcist
    Jesus the therapist Exorcist, though I have personally never done that. Most Bible scholars --nonbelievers-- think that something weird was going on here and that Jesus at least had the ability to appear to cast out demons and do healings. The # of sources such stories come from seem to be quite varied and contextually accurate/rich.

Do you believe that Jesus rose bodily from the dead after his crucifixion? Or do you believe that Jesus' resurrection was symbolic and not dependent on his body rising from the grave?

The risen Jesus Jesus the symbol

The risen Jesus

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't mean to derail the thread, but it seems to have burnt out anyway...

Casting out demons? Lots of sources? Show me a demon. I'm fine with playing with a Ouija board on Friday the 13th or whatever. Show me how to find such a thing, otherwise it must not exist/be a present danger.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

IP, I'm getting that out of the Ehrman Apocalyptic Prophet book and a few other places. Most NT scholars hold that Jesus --and even his enemies-- bele\ieved that Jesus had that power. I didn't want to take the time to do a lot of digging, but here's a quote from an admittedly biased site Page Not Found -- So Sorry! - Probe Ministries

As far as modern day stuff and seeing demonic activity, I have had a couple of strange Mulder-esgue encounters, but I do realize that my brain can play tricks on me, especially when I've been asleep. I have heard missionaries make claims that they see this stuff a lot in places like India and Africa. The logic is that evil forces wouldn't want to show themselves in a place where they are already exposed -in the text of the Bible-- for what they are.

I am sure, however and for instance, that the face chewer down in Miami would have been considered demon possesed in Bible times. Was he possessed by a demon. I don't know. He did test negative for any kind of chemical substances.

I do realize how crazy all of this sounds to someone who was not raised in a conservative Christian environment. I, myself, would be very skeptical if I were in your shoes.

Other personal experiences: I am a bit of a doubter myself. When I was three years old --I know how that sounds-- I didn't believe in the stories from the Bible that my parents told me. I remember thinking to myself that they weren't any different from the other stories that my parents told me were "make believe." The night after I thought these thoughts, I saw an angel. I was in laying in a play pen at the foot of my parents' bed--1985.

In 2003 I was in Nicaragua on a mission trip again full of doubt. I remember telling God that I didn't think we were accomplishing anything good or important with our efforts there and that I wasn't sure if he cared or was even there. A few minutes later He spoke to me directly and said, "I'm here, I'm real, watch me work." About 15 minutes later a pack of kids who were hanging out in the shadows walked up and said they would like to become Christians. It was the end of the week and the first time the whole week that anything like that had happened.

I realize that all of this might sound rather flimsy, but it's worth keeping an open mind about. I myself, pften rely on the testimony and the goodness of character of the people I am close to who take their faith more seriously than I do. It's a question of belief in the intangible and invisible, and sometimes we can only observe their effects.

Thought and emotion, the things that make us human, are intangible. I know that biology is showing that these things are built in, at least to an extent. My only point is that these things are unobservable, and the only reason you believe me when I say they are real is because you have also experienced them. The same is true of spiritual things I think. Unfortunately, you probably have to repent in order to experience them. I myself don't experience them on a regular basis. Not sure if I'm typical of a Christian in that regard or not.

Guess that's all I have to say on the topic. Label me as strange if you want. I can assure you that people that know me consider me down to earth and a bit of skeptic/pessimist. Then again, I believe in Gruden.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  13. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Fun quiz. The only question that raised my attention was:

"Do you believe that "salvation is found in no one else" besides Jesus? Or do you believe that "God is defined by Jesus but not confined to Jesus" and that Jesus embodies one of many paths to God?"

The varying opinions, thoughts, and interpretations on other topics really don't bother me. This particular topic however is without a doubt the cornerstone of Christianity and should be understood universally throughout.

John 14:6 - "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

But that statement doesn't say "but by faith in me," nor is it implied.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Same here.

16. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Belief in Jesus Christ is required for eternal salvation plain and simple. Through the grace of God his death served as an atonement for all sins which without the penalty is death. One cannot "work" their way to heaven. Faith in Jesus Christ is required.

Romans 6:23 - "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Ephesians 2:8-9 - "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast."

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I just don't think those verses contradict my point. I do believe that the death of Christ brings salvation, but I think He can apply that salvation in whatever way he deems fit. Yes the church at Epheseus had been saved by faith, but this is not about Final Judgement. The final Judgement scenes are Matt. 25, Romans 2, and Rev. 20-21.
    Read Romans 2 and check your preconceived theology at the door beforehand:

Also Matt 25. One interpretation --that makes a lot of sense-- of Matt 25 is the idea that it is the nations who are kind to Christ's followers who will be saved. (Read good for America, bad for Ancient Rome.)

18. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

What about those of us who think Paul is a fraud?

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

If you stick with the gospels you'll be golden, IMO. Heck just pick one gospel --even Mark-- and stick with it.

20. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

My gospel preference is Luke.

:)

James is my favorite book though.