Rent

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Okay, so a lot happened today. Gonna try to sum it up as succinctly as possible:
    • I met with the property manager today. Found out that the person my fiance spoke with yesterday was actually the VP or something. Either the property manager's boss or maybe even his boss's boss.

• He informed me that there have been tons of problems with what the deem "corporate" sublets, some of which have been exacerbated by COVID. To list a few:
      • They have people sub-letting week by week and even day by day. It makes it impossible for the management team to keep up with who is here. They'll have situations where someone will call saying they're locked out, and the management team can't verify whether they actually live in the building/unit or not because they're living there on a 3 day stay.
      • They've had situations where a "corporate" sublet has led to people with a felony or felonies on their records moving in without the office knowing about it because they weren't given the opportunity to run a criminal history check.
      • They also run into issues where there options are limited if someone refuses to move out. COVID exacerbates those issues, especially with how backed up the courts are.
    • All of the above has essentially caused them to stop allowing these "corporate" sublets. He said there's likely no way that they would allow this woman to take over the lease through her company if she plans to be doing day to day or even week to week sub letting. Seems reasonable enough to me.

• He did suggest that if the woman plans to sublet it for longer periods of time (3+ months), they might be open to it, as that would be more reasonable. Any approval has to come from a level above him though, and all he committed to was putting in the request. He did say that he felt the request is reasonable, based on what she is wanting to do.

• I got the property manager to commit to sitting down with me and the business owner Tuesday morning to talk through the situation. It's really starting to look like if they say no, they won't have much of a leg to stand on.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

You virtually cannot evict people right now, short of like a violent criminal act.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yup. It's a reasonable issue to raise, but they should do a better job of vetting the people/companies they let do this sort of stuff. Cutting everyone off because of a few bad apples doesn't make a ton of sense. Put in more effort to get it right.

We also have a guy who just moved here from Ohio for work coming to view the unit tomorrow. I'm going to feel bad if he wants to move forward quickly because I'm pretty sure we won't be able to just wait and hope they allow the other lady to takeover and sublet. Feel bad for that couple.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

A girl came by to view the apartment today, and one of my neighbors might have been smoking the strongest shit I’ve ever smelled in my life. My eyes were legit burning. My fiancé said that when she opened the door, the scent came in like a force and just hit her. She was probably 3 feet inside the apartment.

If we didn’t already have 2 very legitimately interested people, I probably would have been extremely pissed. Who the [uck fay] is toking up like that at 3:30 pm on a Tuesday afternoon in their non smoking, drug free apartment?

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

At least a third of the kitchen staff in the US is high at 3:30 on a Tuesday.

And the word is "loud," not "strong." Their shit was loud.

justingroves likes this.
  6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I guess it’s possible that my ears were so heavily impacted that I didn’t even realize it.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

A third is a low estimate.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

On the one hand, smoking isn't good for you and I wish people didn't smoke stuff. On the other hand, [uck fay] it. If it hurts Indy, it's probably worth it.

9. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Be Indy's neighbor.
    Find out Indy is moving.
    Light up in celebration.
    Indy complains.

Indy and IP like this.
  10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Surprised he didn’t spend hours or days or his entire lifetime arguing with his neighbor over what kind of weed it was.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Well, this was a good try, at least.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Oddly enough, it sounds like there was a semi-large drug bust on the other side of our building yesterday. I didn't see what happened, but people mentioned "multiple" law enforcement agencies and people in DEA jackets. Apparently someone was arrested and removed from their apartment. It was a big enough deal that the apartment complex sent out a property-wide email about it.

13. fl0at_

I don't think the DEA is going marijuana raids anymore.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This is Baltimore. Whatever happened was not focused on just marijuana. It was unrelated to my neighbor.

15. fl0at_

It wouldn't be focused on marijuana at all.

Your drug free apartment has a meth distribution problem.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Indy ain't sharing?

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Indy ain't here much longer.

We have a guy taking over our unit effective 3/1. We signed the resident release form last night, and he should be signing the lease today. It won't be "official" until he picks up the keys, but he's giving me a check today for the first month of rent, so even if he backs out, we will essentially have another month for free to fill the unit (and we have 3 back up options in place).

So we will close Friday, 2/26, move our stuff Saturday, 2/27, clean the unit Sunday, 2/28, and hand over the keys Monday, 3/1. Saves us at least $5,780, and is about as good of a situation as we could have asked for.

I am still a bit peeved about how they handled the whole situation with the lady wanting to sublet through her company. We never got an official approval or disproval on that, which is annoying.