Rent

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Sep 15, 2018.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This is true.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’ve got a pretty sharp eye. Maybe I’ll just do it myself and save on that cost altogether.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

People should really be paying attention here. This stuff is free consulting straight out of financial planner studies

CardinalVol likes this.
  4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Should at least offer him a warm PBR or Natty Light first.

5. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I was worried I bought into the Memphis suburbs at the peak three years ago. I think our house would sell at about 25-30% more today.

I am seeing price reductions on those houses that are a step above starter homes (4 to 5 BR).

6. CardinalVol

After basement flooding last night, tree falling, and getting a call that neighbors basement flooded this morning and having to go home to check mine, I really starting to think home ownership is very overrated.

7. Ssmiff

My moms house was worth about 95k near hickory hill but up to about 135 now even in somewhat of a rough area

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

My basement has flooded twice in the last year and a half. I've told my wife that renting doesn't seem so bad.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Wife wanted to build a basement. I shot that down real quick.

We already live in creek bottom land

justingroves likes this.
  10. CardinalVol

I texted her this morning and told her I was finding a new house on the highest hill I can find.

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I have no basement

12. Ssmiff

I dig basements

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Not likely, but the orthos would appreciate the business.

14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I want a basement.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Maybe you can settle for a cellar

16. Ssmiff

I live on a slant and enjoy the basement. Have my office down there, 1 br, full bath and tv room with a little bar and couch.
    Had this master plan to try off the airbnb grid and hook up with an international travelling soccer fans club coming to nashville for mls, provide tickets thru my contacts down there and put my son to work being transportation. Hotels here were running $450/500 a night before the covid for a tiny room and i could sleep 6 and 2 separate rooms so $$$ was dancing in my head.
    Perfect timing as usual.

warhammer and justingroves like this.
  17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Anyone with a law background want to help me get out of my apartment as cheaply as possible?

I'm buying a house. My apartment requires 60 days notice, as well as an early cancellation penalty equal to two months additional rent. So, essentially, we give our notice, pay for 4 months of rent, and have to be moved out by the end of the 2 month mark.

The other option is subletting. Here are the terms in the lease:

upload_2021-2-10_14-15-56.png

These terms seem a bit odd/vague to me, to be honest. It mentions multiple times that they have to approve/consent in order for us to sublet, but it doesn't really dictate what reasons they can provide for not approving or consenting. It seems like they would be substantially limited in what objections they could bring up, due to fair housing laws and what not.

We have 2 people who have reached out about taking over the lease:
    1. The first guy would just be a normal tenant moving in with his husband and their dog. He hasn't gotten back with us since our initial reply, but if he wants to take over the lease, I assume they won't really be able to object, as long as he passes all the standard tests (credit check, background check, or whatever they normally require for anyone moving in).
    2. The second person is a lady who runs an interim housing company. She suggested she would be interested in taking over the lease but asked us if we could confirm with property management if they would allow her to take it over and sublease it. She mentioned she has had other apartments in the building before, so they should be okay with it.
    My fiance spoke with the office this morning, and the response she got from them was essentially "no, we won't allow that." The reason they provided for saying no was that they've "reached their max" on how many corporate housing type units that "ownership" wants.

I plan to go down their and engage with them myself tomorrow, but I wanted to get the input of anyone knowledgeable who is willing to offer it. Am I off base in thinking that if they offer corporate housing type units at all, they shouldn't be able to deny it from happening in this case? It's just strange to me that we have someone sitting here saying they want to take over our lease, and the management company is just not allowing it.

Also, if there is anything COVID-related that could help us out, I'm all ears. Seems reasonable to think that people could want to move away from places like this from a health and safety perspective.

TIA.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I wouldn't rule out arson. Don't have to pay rent on an apartment that doesn't exist.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's a brutal policy. I just bought a house and am only having to pay 1.5 months rent, but they could have had us for 2 if they wanted.

Could you use a COVID angle? Are there shared spaces? Elevators, foot traffic, etc? Might sprinkle a little COVID angle in, regarding the safety of you and your girlfriend. I think you can't make them accept anyone.

warhammer likes this.