Rest of Season

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by DownNDirty, Oct 4, 2014.

1. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

Serious question. Do we hope that Jones turns it around and wins enough to get to a bowl and has people slurping his Kool-Aid again and excited? Maybe at that point Michigan bails us out and takes him on as HC. But then I'd have to have confidence in Dave Hart grabbing the right guy - someone like Stanford's coach or bringing Chip Kelly back to college. I'm 100% convinced after watching enough of Jones that he's a nice guy. He seems to be a genuine guy that's likable. However, he's not a top shelf head coach. He's a great recruiter (so far) and that's all he's hanging his hat on. So, do we hope that he does well enough to get snatched up by Michigan? Or tanks enough to at least fire Bajakian?

2. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I'd love for Michigan to hire Jones, but why would they?

3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

This worthless ****ing loser isn't making a bowl.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

He can't possibly do well enough to get hired by Michigan. And I don't think he fires Bajakian unless we only win 1 other game.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I hope they win every time they go out on the field, if Butch Jones, Pee Wee Herman, or Hannibal Lecter is coaching them. I'll never change that.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'm actually not a proponent of firing Jones. At least yet, until I see what he does / doesn't so with his staff.

7. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

Sometimes you gotta sacrifice for the greater good

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm not the one who has to do anything, or can do anything, unfortunately, or not.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He'll hire Brian Kelly's wr coach

10. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

Maybe I'm too harsh. I just haven't saw anything from him to make me think he can get the job done. But maybe it's mostly Bajakian. Actually, I know Bajakian is a big problem either way. I'm just frustrated.

11. OrangeEmpire

Do you have any confidence he will make changes to the staff?

12. OrangeEmpire

It comes down to Jones wanting to change his offensive philosophy.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

He brought the ignorant ****ers in, if he gets rid of them we have no reason to believe he won't bring in more ignorant ****ers.

14. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

Ok let me put it this way. If Jones done well enough the rest of the year to leave for Michigan and you know that you could replace him with someone like Chip Kelly or David Shaw what would you want? Him to stay or to go?

15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'd give him a piggy back ride to Ann Arbor.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You pay for Butch's airfare and moving expenses

17. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

If I can get Chip Kelly I let Jones go. Easy call. I'd be looking at $6M+ in a bidding war with UM and Jones isn't worth anything close to that.

18. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

Why the **** would he go to michigan

19. dknash

dknash Chieftain

There's no way we win enough games this year for Butch to make even a lateral move. We could be better next year (though probably not without wholesale change), but even then a team would have to be pretty hard up to go after someone with a 2 out of 3 rough years and probably not that great of a year 3 either. Another school invoking Butch's buyout in the near future is right out.

Firing him before year 4's end, at least, seems financially prohibitive unless there are significant changes in what the administration/boosters are willing to spend.

We need to do well enough to hang on to top recruiting classes. Not sure they'll take us anywhere under this staff, but it's certainly better than the alternative.

20. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

Because it at least buys him a few more years of relevance? Seriously, if he trips again next year the honeymoon is over. At Michigan he can "rebuild" for another 3 years. And face much easier competition. Why wouldn't he go if it were offered and he could get a raise?