Revisiting the 2021 Football Coaching Search…

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JT5, Sep 24, 2022.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The Cuonzo of football

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I would have quit Tennessee football if we would have hired Tony Elliott. That would have been throwing in the towel.

3. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Sometimes, I even surprise myself with my ability to perform at an Olympic level of mental gymnastics. I'd have hung around lol.

IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That would have broke me and I'm stubborn as hell.

5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

So can anybody explain why Heupel looked so mediocre at UCF? Like who would have thought Frost would just bomb and Heupel would have the dumpster fire he inherited in the top 10 in 1.5 seasons?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well, another factor in common with the most successful years at both places is Dr. Danny White, PhD Esquire MD DDS DVM PE

tvolsfan likes this.
  7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

What did you see that made him mediocre? I never saw them. And I cant just look at a record and assume. Coulda lost talent. Big injuries or one of many reasons besides average coaching. As we know, all it takes is bad qb play to lose games.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

He had a really good year or 2 and then like 20 COVID opt outs I think.

tvolsfan likes this.
  9. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

That's fair, but there was a reason many UCF fans seemed to be glad he was leaving. Certainly not the way they felt about White.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I also think it would just about take Nick Saban to win anything at Nebraska in this day and age

11. Ssmiff

I cant remember the records but didnt UCF go undefeated Frost last year? Hard to follow that really, especially when they’ve never been there before.

12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

They went undefeated Frost’s last year and undefeated in the regular season Heupel’s first year (let some scrub named Joe Burrow carve them up in the Fiesta Bowl though).

Memtownvol likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I imagine teams started preparing for UCF more intensely after two undefeated regular seasons.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

His 6-4 season at UCF included a one and three point loss, as well as an 8 point loss. They did get waxed by BYU in the bowl by about 20, but most of their losses weren't bad losses. It did seem their defense gave up a ton of points. I do think he has to take defense a little more seriously in this conference. He's not going to score 40 points every game.

tvolsfan, NorrisAlan and Tar Volon like this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Might score 34 in every game.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  16. Ssmiff

Seems like a qb broke his leg?

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Half the roster sitting out for covid didn't help him at UCF

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    tvolsfan likes this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think George O'Leary went undefeated or damn near it a few years before Frost

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Y’all would know UCF’s info if you read that other thread and didn’t put me on ignore. Just saying…

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

LSU game should be a good measuring stick for this team. Their defense seems to be legit, and their DB’s are solid.