Riley Ferguson

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Apr 9, 2014.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Outside of starting Peterman at Florida, I'm not sure he has had much choice with the on field decisions

2. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Say you're right and he didn't, he still brought in 2 underlings that have no place as coordinators in the SEC making decisions for him.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I would say he had plenty of choices at DE last year and nobody saw more snaps than Jaq Smith.

4. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Do you think he could have played the upper class because he didn't want the Sophomores and juniors transferring killing the depth for this season? Serious question that would explain why he played certain players last season.

5. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Possible. But he's a good talent evaluator and would have seen very early that there's next to nothing in those classes.

6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I'm getting the impression that you think the ultimate story on Jones' tenure will be determined by whether he can overcome his loyalty to his own guys and bring in some quality assistants.

I kinda lean in that direction myself. He seems to be hitting all the other key points.

7. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Yep. If he can't do that he's our Gerry DiNardo (or Ron Zook if you're justingroves).

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

DiNardo and Zook were both defensive guys though.

9. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

DiNardo was McCartney's OC at Colorado and designer of the IBone.

10. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Welp, I'm back in conspiracy theorist mode.... Brent Hubbs has created the myth of Reily Ferguson.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

He could take over as POTSMB director if this football gig doesn't work out. Having a a good band is critical to making critical plays in critical situations.

12. LunaFreak

LunaFreak loves Bowling

heheh

13. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

You're high - Jordan Williams was the only other real option at that point and he's shown how awful he is - he already lost his spot it sounds like. As much as Smith underachieved he was still better than any other option we had.

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That may be proof he's a defensive guy.

I'll point you to 11/20/93: Florida 52, Vandy 0; Tennessee 48, UK 0; SEC teams that ran the IBone 0, SEC teams that played them 100.

15. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I do recall them putting 40+ on Georgia, spoiling homecoming in Athens one year under DiNardo (maybe 94), but that was the exception.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Miller, Vereen, Walls all should have been ahead of Jaq.

17. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Don't play the same position.

18. Djcrenshaw

Djcrenshaw New Member

Fergy looked ok during the spring game. He appears to have one of the more accurate arms, atleast that is how it appeared during the one accuracy drill they showed in the fourth quarter of the spring game. It looked like all of the qb's did somethings good and other things not so well. Peterman even looked quiet a bit better than last year, and I know you can't do much worse than that UF game. Woorley looks like he has the brains to be QB, but his arm is just so damn weak. Ferg and Dobbs look pretty similar, as far as I can tell. Ferg and Dobbs also have the strongest arms it would appear. This is going to be a wild summer camp. If we could mesh all 4 qb's together with their best traits we would have the UT qb of the future.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Laughing my ass off thinking that Jaq had any clue what position he was playing.

20. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Vereen is WDE.