Rise of Skywalker with spoilers

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Dec 14, 2017.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Rewatched ROTJ this weekend. Made one thing in this just bug me.

Why was the Wayfinder on the Death Star? Palpatine wasn't HQ'd out of there. He was just there to oversee construction and watch the Rebellion end. He had his own room and all, but it makes no sense he'd had the Wayfinder prominently displayed there. It would have been back on at the Imperial Palace.

Sorry.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Nerd.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

And how did the knifemaker know to make the knife like the wrecked deathstar? If the guy that made the knife knew it was in the deathstar, why didn't he just go get it instead of making a knife?

I still liked it.

4. CardinalVol

I liked it a lot. This is just the one thing bugging me.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Finally saw it tonight. I thought it was freaking fantastic. Keep in mind that I love going to the movies, and the only movie I've seen since moving was Dark Pheonix. I liked that it threw back to the old movies in this case. It seems the right thing to do when finishing out a nine movie saga. Were there plot holes? You betcha, but I'm being picky if I gripe too much.
    Negatives:
    During the speeder chase scene, did Rey just forget about the force? I mean how about raising a little sand in the desert.

So, a pretty much full Jedi is seen struggling to pilot a boat to the death star, and Finn +1 just show up out there.

Didn't Rey grow up on a desert planet? Forget Jedi training, when did she learn sci-fi boat sailing?

Would the death star crashing into Endor's moon not have wrecked the place from a climate perspective?

It did move too fast. As it was entering the third act, I was thinking to myself that I'm going to want more of this. I was right.

The Sith arena setting was a little weird and seemed pointless.

When did TIE fighters get the ability to jump to hyperspace? Did I miss something?

Coulda used more Lando.

I wish they had done more throwback to the prequel trilogy. The older those movies get, the more I respect them and give passes for the bad acting. For all their faults, they told a pretty good story.

I hate to say it, but more Anakin would have been nice. It would have been appropriate to give a little more cameo to the character since his story was so intertwined with Palpatine's.

I would have loved to have had visuals to go along with the voices Rey hears. My hearing is only okay to begin with. It was hard to pick out voices. That would have of course meant more money, but whatever.

I'll say again that I liked the movie a lot. It did what it set out to do, close the Skywalker saga. Now, bring on new stories, and finish the Solo story.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Why did they bring Palpatine back?
    FIFY

7. CardinalVol

Because Johnson killed Snoke in 8 and they would have had to introduce a 3rd puppet if Ben was going to turn good.

8. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I have a lot more problem with snoke than I do with Palpatine's resurrection.

9. CardinalVol

Saw it second time tonight.

Thought so first time, but chewie gets Han's medal.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Agreed. This is my biggest overall complaint about the entire trilogy. Given how it was all rectified in the end, what was the point of Snoke anyway? This is what happens when you allow too much freedom in a major franchise.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Answer 1: There were multiple copies, and he was overconfident. Lazy explanation, but it fits from a Star Wars writing perspective.

Answer 2: His chamber was actually part of an Emporer's private ship that docked with the death star, so it was always with him. Not the real reason, but only because it didn't occur to Lucas to do this at the time. Since Episode VI was mostly about making him and Kenner a lot of money off toys.

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Luke dead is way more useful than Luke alive.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Per Disney, was more useful.

14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

They also could have just gone back and hidden it there, which was why that door in the whole hulk still functioned.

Also, after hiding it in a crash site, they could have made a map.

Ta da!

15. CardinalVol

So the novelization says that Palpatine was a clone and that Rey's father was a dysfunctional clone.

Geez.

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I didn't think it was possible to [uck fay] the story up more than it was. I stand corrected.

17. CardinalVol

I had just accepted that there were plot holes and we could fill in how we wanted and was going to enjoy the movie for what it is.

Disney wants us to hate Star Wars.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

This was stupid in the dark empire comic too, which I never read, and which other Star Wars books and comics avoided referring to, as much as possible

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

20. CardinalVol