Romney hits the nail on the head

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Jan 13, 2012.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Not sure anyone overly offended by this would likely vote for him anyway.

Less risky than perceived imo.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I agree 100% with him, but this will be turned into him being an elitist and out of touch with the common man.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Not surprisingly I disagree with some of his assumptions. There sre many hard-working well-educated folks that have had the American dream snatched from them through no fault of their own. There are some in that same situation because of their own doing. With the middle class shrinking at the current rate, I do think that there is more to it than envy. Are politicians using class warfare to get votes? Absolutely. Is there more to the situation than envy? Imo, without a doubt.

5. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

fyp

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. It is much more nuanced than he made it sound. I understand some of his sentiment, but there are real issues right now that are barriers to otherwise deserving people from earning a rise in class.

7. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

I'm not saying this as an internet over the top statement. I honestly believe Romney (along with a few others) is a truly dishonest and bad person. I disagree with several peoples political positions, but that doesn't always mean I dislike them as a person. Romney and Gingrich are legitimately bad people in my opinion. I don't know either of them personally, I'm just basing this on things they have done while in office or in public.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Elaborate?

9. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

Sure. #1 - Romney served as full time clergy for the LDS church from 1986 -1994. Before that he served as part time clergy. Being quite familiar with Mormon dogma, I understand the questions and expectations Mr. Romney would have had for his congregation(s). After having these expectations for the people under his charge, his legislative record is diametrically opposed to those expectations. I'm not sure how familiar anyone else is with Mormon culture/dogma, so I won't speak specifics to avoid confusion. I'm sure he paid his tithing, didn't drink coffee, didn't cheat on his wife and whatever else. But as a Stake President (equivalent to a Catholic Bishop) he had the power to restrict access to certain Mormon rites. While preaching certain values (literally) as a clergyman, he voted exactly opposite of those. Tax payer funded abortions and flat out lying about his 2nd Amendment stance. Just a couple. In short, I view him much the same as Pat Robertson. He can't decide if he wants to be a politician or a preacher.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't follow. I think I'd rather specifics.

I don't see why one can't have different personal religious beliefs from their political public beliefs. After all, this is supposed to be a free country with no state religion.

11. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

Mr Gingrich is simpler. I believe most Congressmen are criminals. They may not have been convicted yet, but they are there just to make money for themselves. Gingrich was forced to pay a fine of $300,000 for 84 ethics violations. The house voted 395-28 to sanction Gingrich. Criminals think you are too dishonest to hang out with them.

12. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

I believe your personal convictions should be shown in both your religious and your political life. For example, it is my personal belief that civil unions should be legal in Tennessee. If I were a Minister and professional politician, I would both preach it and vote for it. Apparently, Mr Romney has two different value systems based on his target audience.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think it is perfectly acceptable to be opposed to gay marriage, personally. I do not think it is acceptable to fight for that belief to have a secular legal mandate in government.

In that way, I think one can personally hold themselves to whatever standard they wish, so long as they don't try to impose that standard on other people's lives. I think that shows integrity and respect for individual freedom.

14. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

This was the crux of my argument, he did as a Stake President during Temple interviews. People that wanted to go to the Temple had to ask his permission. The things a Stake President will restrict someone for are the same things he pushed as Governor.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

But those are two different settings. Why should he hold all of Mass. to the standards of Mormonism? They aren't Mormon.

16. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

He should have legislated according to his conscience.

He should have served as Stake President according to his conscience.

At best he only did one of those things, probably neither.

Being honest isn't just a Mormon value.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Again, I see it differently. Religion is a personal choice. PERSONAL. It is plain evil to force those personal choices on other people through voting. If you think something is "wrong," that doesn't mean you should force other people under pain of penalty to conform to that opinion. We should all have the freedom to choose.

18. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

Evil? Really? We're not talking about the Taliban, it's Massachusetts politics. Let's not play internet shock guy. The people of the US always have the right to choose. When they vote.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't see how that makes romney a "bad" person.

20. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member