Romney hits the nail on the head

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Jan 13, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Forcing one's belief system on to others is evil, in my opinion. Taliban or Southern Baptist, makes no difference to me.

2. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

So every piece of legislation ever passed is someone's belief. Using your thought process, they are forcing their beliefs on me. Every bill ever passed is evil. Using your argument.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

That would be using a ridiculously simplified version of my argument. I am saying pushing one's private religious beliefs on the public through legislation is evil. You're saying Romney is evil for NOT doing that. That is our argument.

If you try to twist it again, I'm done. Life it too short for that bullshit.

4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I personally couldn't give two shits what Romney's religious beliefs are or if he voted straight down the religious doctrine. I don't think one should do that anyway. We're secular for a reason.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

A politician should vote their constitueny. If his votes are counter to that, then sure.

But if he put the political views of his constituency above that of his personal views, then I would say he did the right thing.

Being a politician should carry the extra weight of having to do things not "true to self." It may seem like pandering, but representation should be moving with the flow of the majority, even if it means moving against personal views.

If he passed law that fit the mold of the people, and went against his own views, I would say he acted appropriately.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Exactly.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

A Congressman that votes the way the majority wants him to vote is worthless. The responsibility given to the elected in a representative republic is to work in the manner he feels is in the best interest of his country, constituency, etc. Theoretically, this person is chosen as the best person to make decisions, not as a rubber stamp of the majority. If we believe that the simple majority of the people is the law, then we should go Athenian Democracy and have a direct democracy altogether.

An elected official should have the best resources and information available to them in order to make the best decision possible. If that goes against the wishes of the majority of the electorate, then they will have to answer for this at the election.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

You've missed the point of what float was saying.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

A person is probably going to be elected because his personal views are the greatest representation of what his electorate views. If a person is elected into office, he should by all means govern as how he sees best fit. If he gets into office and his beliefs are not representative of the people, then the majority of the time is should be shame on the people, not on him.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Sort of, I see his point in terms of personal views, but simply going with the majority of the constituency is not something I agree with in any sense. I have a hard time seeing many instances where an elected official will see voting against his beliefs as voting for the best interests of who he represents. I have to imagine they are typically one in the same.

12. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

When did I say Romney was evil? If you try to twist it again, I'm done. Life it too short for that bullshit.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Huh. you're right. You said he was a "truly dishonest and bad person." Glad you set me straight, ass.

14. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Romney is a Kennedy wannabe. Right down to the hair and awful suits.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Better start to get used to him, because right now barring pictures of him screwing a horse, he's the nominee.

16. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Used to, yeah right. Clown as a nominee last go around. I doubt if I will ever vote dem or gop as long as I live.

17. fl0at_

It is a very pessimistic person that feels the majority might not have the best interests in mind... It is a further interesting person that feels that shit has to be constantly rehashed over, and over, and over, and over again because the effin' pessimistic politician didn't go with the majority the first time, and got booted out for it...

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

The majority doesn't know shit.

19. fl0at_

Nor does the minority. I consider you a highly informed individual in politics, and thus a minority in the grand landscape of the voting or apathetic population. Do you know the voting record of your House Representative, or would you have to look it up?

The idea that the minority knows best is elitism. The idea that the majority knows best is democracy. The idea that nobody knows shit, or just doesn't care, is a republic.

I'd rather have a democratic republic than an elitist republic, but that is just me.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd rather my voice not be equal to the 18 year old high school drop-out.