Ron Brown, Anti-Gay Coach

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Apr 26, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Essentially what warhammer just said: there is not a huge logical leap between the matters of faith in the Bible, and the belief in a mythological creature. Whether it was intended to be condescending or not (I would argue that wasn't necessarily, it is just that the way some of us view matters of faith in general is actually the source of the perceived insult) it was, for his world view, a valid comparison.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's not the most probable scenario in my mind.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I know that there is a vast amount of logic applied to Christian theology, once the matters of faith are accepted. That doesn't make it a positivist point of view. It shouldn't be insulting to point that out.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This might have something to do with it too

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You are correct. It certainly doesn't have to be. Hence, part of the frustration with Uni.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

On another note, if Ron Brown is fired from coaching, he might consider a run for office. I am just guessing, but Nebraska seems to me like it would be a pretty solid red state.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I bet IP was still sipping his coke and whiskey while watching the NC State spring game during this entire argument.

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Komodo dragons are real. Uni's choice to mock Christianity just backfired. I've even seen some that had a purple hue in certain sunlight. Put that in your pipes and smoke it haters.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Yet, you have chosen to group them all into one group that believes every word of the Bible was meant to be taken literally. There lies the flaw in your argument and is what makes it stupid.

10. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I missed the party, but. . .

Yes, there are some people who think God can use simile but not metaphor. If there's any reason to take this seriously, I'm not aware of it.

11. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Anybody who thinks that is clearly not reading and understanding the bible. God is all powerful, and if he wants to use simile, metaphor, carrier pigeon, or morse code, he will do it.

12. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

People shouldn't be naive as to just dismiss the fact that dragons have ever existed. I am one of those who is still stuck in between on whether some of the bible is literal or not. Yes, I will say, that some of this stuff is hard to understand using the carnal mind, but at the same time, God and the carnal mind are separate. (Romans 8:7).

I don't think it can be stated enough in this discussion about the difference between God and our minds.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Could the dragon references be describing dinosaurs?

14. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I have thought about that before, and again during this discussion. It certainly is a point that could have some legs.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

we have no evidence purple dragons existed. we have plenty of evidence jesus as a man existed. The later is a more resonable belief.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I wasn't going to read this thread. Opened up the last page to post an article I read on Coach Brown this morning.

After reading about dragons and how the relate to the Bible, I shall start reading this thread.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Threads like this are what makes this place the shit.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Fun thread.

For starters, a blog post/article I read about Coach Brown this morning.

Is This Evangelical Coach Out of Bounds? – The Gospel Coalition Blog

I will say I've been busy with weddings and such and haven't read the background specifics into this, but if what Coach Brown says his intent is in this article, then I have no problem with it.

Secondly, there is logic and faith that applies to any thing a person believes, whether that be the Bible, science, or purple dragons. The Bible never says to believe what it says blindly, but actually says the opposite (1 Peter 3:15). The thread running through the Bible is a story of redemption through Jesus. The vast majority of the Bible makes logical sense to me and the parts that are hard I accept on faith. I think a key element we are ALL guilty of doing is trying to read it through 21st century eyes instead of reading it in the frame it was written and who it was originally written to. The story of Noah's Ark is insanely hard for me to accept (even as a kid and even moreso than creation or talking donkeys), but because I have seen other parts of the Bible proven true, then I accept that somehow, someway that this happened to. I've given up trying to understand and just accept it.

19. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Back after a few days of craziness at work, I have yet to read the 5 or so pages from where I left off, but I will say that this post is the one I can agree/respect the most (except for the small quibble on equating faith with religion as well as science). I can accept the idea that I won't see the Bible the same way in which a Christian does, but I can also accept the idea of faith as a point of personal belief. Admitting it doesn't make rational sense and that you still value the ideas because of faith are fine with me. Believe whatever you want, whether in the divinity of Jesus or purple dragons. One shouldn't pull a Brown, though, and use that personal faith to determine the lives and laws of this country.

Now, I'm going to go back and see when this discussion actually stopped being some ridiculous semantic argument about my "insulting" of people, as if that was somehow unusual on this site.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm not shocked, by the way, that you still don't [uck fay]ing get it. Never did I argue in regards to a Christian superiority complex, only those who argue from a point of certainty and determine that people should live their lives according to the certainty they have somehow accessed. When you can point out that I have done the same, then you'll have your point about hypocrisy. Until then, you're just trying to chastise me without actually getting it right.