S. Africa: White Land "Expropriated without Compensation"

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This should end well.

While currently illegal and unconstitutional, the ANC (the party proposing the initiative) seems at least capable of acquiring the necessary votes to amend and allow for it, now controlling some 2/3rd's of Parliament.

But, in the ANC's defense, they only advocate for "expropriation without compensation":

So, as long as forcibly seizing of white owned land - some 72% of 37M hectares - doesn't undermine the economy / food production and security, they should be golden.

You'd think they'd pay a visit to their friends in Zimbabwe, to see how well similarly recent initiatives turned out.

Fortunately, this is halfway around the world from us, in a place that doesn't have any substantial oil reserves, and in the oft-overlooked and underappreciated continent of Africa.

Link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bl...is-back-in-news-in-south-africa-quicktake-q-a

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I swear I read this post in full on reddit last week. Right down to the oil comment

JayVols likes this.
  3. Tenacious D

I don't post on Reddit.

I've not seen this on Reddit.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

For some reason I feel a great sympathy for these people and feel we should open our doors and welcome these poor refugees.

Tenacious D likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Funny, I keep reading that. I guess they pass the same complex, multifaceted test the Norwegians do.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I feel awful for the indigenous whites of South Africa for their honestly gained land where they didn't exploit the majority segment of the population for generations.

Seriously, though, this is not a good policy to enforce from the ANC's perspective and brings up a very difficult question of resolving past grievances while not performing outright theft and destroying their economy as well as harming the reconciliation of the races that has been improving in fits and spurts since the 90s. The Truth and Reconciliation Commissions had varying effects, but kept the country from devolving into significant racial violence. Of course, they are also missing a figure of seminal importance like Nelson Mandela to alleviate the friction.

7. Tenacious D

Well, there really isn't any other suitable option, anywhere in the world, IMO.

Fortunately, we are a nation of infinite size and resources.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

These are all non indigenous groups. Ironically, the black ethnic groups there arrived later than some of the whites. The indigenous were wiped out by both racial groups for the most part.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

For the anglos, they can immigrate to commonwealth nations. Not so for the Dutch descendents

10. Unimane

Well, the Khoisans still have a few people lingering in the region, but the Afrikaans still did get their situations and land largely by theft and exploitation. It's exceedingly hard, and not altogether wise, to remedy this by wholesale confiscation of land.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I've not heard anything about this, but sounds like it's going to be made for popcorn

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

How long do we hold generations responsible for the acts of their ancestors? Nobody has 500 years of clean hands, surely.

Volst53 likes this.
  13. Unimane

Apartheid ended in the 90s. I don't think that's too long for some recompense. Certainly, land was obtained by most well before then, but the statue of limitations always seems to be very short for those in power or in possession of lands, in this case. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for what the ANC is proposing here, but there's also a sense here that people who are still alive were able to use these lands to exploit labor to garner their wealth. There must be an equitable solution within this conflict.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's kind of hard to blame the honkeys for using the advantages the system in place afforded them. If anything, I'd think some kind of equal opportunity employment type law ought to be in place to help even the scales for the formerly oppressed. Redistributing property seems like punishing a lot of people that might not have done anything wrong.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

These farmers and their ethnic group are generally as poor as anyone, I think.

16. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Because it was posted there. Maybe the exact quote and everything.

17. Tenacious D

Australia may offer visas to South African farmers wishing to resettle there.

Any country could always use more farmers, and it seems that the Aussies have ample farmland to go around.

The South African government can continue on and conclude it's path toward the uncompensated seizure of white-owned farmland, and do with it what they wish.

Sounds like a win-win-win, at least for today, and to the visionary boundaries of the South African government...which is app. 6" in front of their own nose, and the same which they seem intent to cut off.

Link: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/15/world/australia/south-africa-white-farmers-peter-dutton.html?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's a loss for south Africa and history.

19. Tenacious D

It will be difficult to fully measure the total loss which this will not only cause to occur to all South Africans - black, white and everyone else - but for generations.

I understand the problem, but still cannot fathom that this is being mentioned, much less seriously considered, as a viable solution.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. If the whites are gone and this precedent exists, some other tribal (literally or figuratively) distinction may well be the next wedge point used to justify seizure.