Sanctuary City Showdown

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Nov 18, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

They need to cave. They can't win.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No, I get it. "ba ba ba ba ba Obama."

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Is this true? i can see where it would be true if the funding came from Executive branch regulations. I do not think it should be true if the funding came from Congressional legislation. I do not know the origination for this funding originates. I'm not even sure what funding is being considered.

Are federal grants and funds from any department or for any source included? Or is the funding to be cut related only to ICE?

I ask because I do not know.

4. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Float, you don't have a leg to stand on if that's your argument...

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think they're merely required to report illegals who are otherwise arrested as being illegal. They aren't necessarily being asked to divert from enforcement of other laws. Just tell ice when they know they've got a perp who is illegal. I could be totally wrong.

6. fl0at_

They'll cave. Money talks. And when they do, that's it.

The President now has unrestrictive power over state and local governments. He'll just threaten to turn the spigot off and they'll fall in line.

Least North Carolina had the presence of mind and sack to fight tyranny of this kind.

The friggen red hats are too clueless to see that this is tyranny, because they think holding up the law is a shield against the ability for one office to tell any other where to go, and how to go about getting there.

7. fl0at_

No, using what was done in the past as an excuse to do so moving forward is the definition of bad governance, and is worse when it is defended by the masses. The he did it so I can too crap has got to stop. And you're perpetuating the continuity. That's my argument. And it stands fine.

8. fl0at_

If so, let's just crown the President today.

9. Savage Orange

Apparently your argument only applies when Republicans are in control... The rule of law is the foundation of this nation, not religion, not culture, not what's convenient right now.... The rule of law. Don't like the law? Change it. It's been done before and will be done again.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It's amazing how quick GOPers have switched from "I don't care if Bush did it too, it's still wrong for Obama to do it" to " Well, it's wrong, but I don't care if Trump does it because Obama did it."

10 days?

11. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

You are so blinded by "Trump voters=stupid" that you've stopped thinking.

I asked a ****ing question about whether the president had the power to do what was claimed bc I think it is probative. Your response is both unrelated and unhelpful.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Elections have consequences. I expect a lot of autocratic, strong arms with him. It is what was chosen, to squash those pesky bubbles of liberalism into submission of the state majority/population minority.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

There are times, however, that laws are impossible or impractical to enforce. So even if they are on the books, the police just have to turn a blind eye to it or risk a) bankrupting their department or b) spend so many hours enforcing law A that an even more important law B gets ignored.

It happened during Prohibition, it has happened since the start of the War on Drugs and happens with immigration.

You have to look at the root cause of these problems sometimes. Why are there so many immigrants here and why don't they go home voluntarily?

14. MWR

MWR Contributor

Indeed, they cannot win. But they may be able to negotiate for some things they want and not have to surrender unconditionally.

15. Savage Orange

Agreed that there are laws that are just unenforceable but that still doesn't change the fact that they are laws. Get caught, pay the penalty...

Why is the US the only nation on Earth that rewards illegal immigration? Sneaking into any other country (including Mexico....) is taken seriously and the penalty ranges from country to country but nowhere else is it celebrated like it is here...

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Not speaking to the immigration issue directly, but I would say that we shouldn't be like any other country. We're not. We should strive to be better than the rest.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

It isn't celebrated here. It's tolerated. It is tolerated many, many places to varying degrees. Among peer nations, we are not the most welcoming.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Perhaps because we are a land of immigrants. Unlike almost any other country, we have a long history of people coming to this country to get a better life.

And, we like cheap labor.

19. Savage Orange

It's rewarded. You get more of the behavior you reward and when illegals here (don't give me that "undocumented" bullshit) are protected, covered for and celebrated, guess what? You get more of them. I understand why they want to come here because I've been to many of the countries they come from.... The horses have left the barn though... There's no way logistically to send them all home because at this point America IS home... We can stem the tide of future illegals but the ones here now aren't going anywhere in any significant numbers. The only hope is for their native nations to get their shit together to the point that people "self-deport" because conditions are acceptable there.

20. Savage Orange

A land of LEGAL immigrants....