Secession petition

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Nov 14, 2012.

1. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

If you want to see who signs these, watch doomsday preppers.

2. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I would think Tea Party

3. possumslayer

possumslayer Roadkill Guru

I have a feeling that the irs is gonna be knocking on a few more doors,and they have a new list of names.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Doubtful.

IRS won't waste the time unless these folks make enough $$$$$, and I doubt they do. It's why tax fraud is rampant with lower income individuals and no one ever does anything about it. It's a cost-benefit issue.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Truth. I cash out IRAs like a murf, and never report that as income. Or whatever I'm supposed to do. I'm sure I do more, too. But I don't file my taxes.

6. CardinalVol

Solid tax-planning IMO.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Retirement is for people that don't die of heart attacks at 55.

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You are getting far too deep into my comments regarding the separation of powers. The constitutional designations between the federal government and the states are just fine. The point remains that I have yet to see a post here that presents a situation in which the cry of "states rights" is followed by any worthwhile cause or if it's simple pandering to a local base. And, yes, there is a closeness in local governments than can be good, but, in conjunction with the cries of "states' rights", I've yet to see a case in which it inspires any confidence in the term as a rallying cry.

And, yes, when comparing the federal government with the local legislatures here in Tennessee, give me Washington over these idiots any day of the week. A gander at much of the work of the group in Nashville over the past few years should scare the hell out of people.

9. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttt. The IRS has been on my ass for 6 months now sending certified letters out the wazoo to my wife and I because they didn't trust our 1098T forms. I didn't think we made that much money, but I guess I was wrong.

10. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Are you white?

I kid, I kid

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Whatever institution you are taking that money out of will report that as income. i can think of a lot of ways to not pay taxes and never have the irs figure it out, but that is certainly not one of them. the irs will come knocking eventually i assure you. probably just a letter at first, but they wont ignore it.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Exactly.

13. CardinalVol

Odd.

I guess you got flagged by the matching system.

14. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

A lot of the talk about secession is saying that Tennessee takes in more per person than what is paid in with taxes.

I see it like this...If by some chance the movement to secede did gain enough steam to pass, do you think people living in all the US Government assisted housing stay where they are? Not a chance. They will move to where the handouts remain.

It does seem as if the bedrock of the nation may have a little crack here and there.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tennessee doesn't pay more than it gets

16. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Tennessee takes in about 1.27 from the government for every dollar paid in in federal taxes.

17. CardinalVol

As to the red state takes more than it pays.

What makes a state red or blue? The people who vote.

So, with that, a look at the numbers in Tennessee.

Per the TN election website, if my math is correct, 2,454,470 people voted in the 2012 presidential election last week. Of that 1,459,965 voted for Romney, 959,054 voted for Obama, 35,451 voted for someone else (not counting write-in votes).

Per the census bureau, in 2011 there was an estimated 6,403,353 people living in Tennessee. That means 3,948,883 people did not vote. Also, per the census bureau, in 2011 23.3% of the Tennessee population is under age 18. That means 1,491,981 people could not vote. That leaves 4,911,372 eligible votes in the state of Tennessee.

So, what that tells me is that 2,456,902 eligible people did not vote, or just over 50% of eligible voters. That also tells me that of the eligible voting population in Tennessee, we are a "red" state because 29.73% of the eligible voting population of the state makes us so.

And while I cannot statistically show the proof as I sit here, I think it's a safe assumption that of the 70.27% of the eligible voters of TN that did not vote Republican, it's quite possible that the people in those numbers will easily tip the scales to Tennessee becoming a taker and not a giver***. This probably holds true in those other jurisdictions on that map as well.

***-And yes, I am sure there are plenty of people listed that vote Republican and take because of social issues and/or SS and Medicare.

18. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

I am not sure what happened, but our 2010 return was audited, they didn't trust our 1098T was "authentic" and have been on our ass relentlessly since. My mother - a partner in an accounting firm & CPA, my father - a CPA, and my wife - 1/2 CPA (two tests to go) are all completely fed up with Herman Tumm and his goon squad.

I secretly think they are trying to get back the $8,000 first time home buyers credit they gave us.

19. CardinalVol

That's crazy.

I've never heard of someone having that much headache over a 1098-T. I don't do a ton of individual work, but man, that's crazy.

What cities do the wife and your parents practice?

Also, sounds like you are the wise one of the group.

20. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

None of us can figure it out either, but we keep sending letters instead of checks. I am just ready to be done, we paid our fair share and don't deserve to deal with all this bs.

My wife is starting at Kraft CPA in Nashville in Jan. My mom is in Brentwood and my dad keeps his accreditation current but works outside of accounting.