SECGG

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Tenacious D, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Full
    Exactly the same. I was texting Groves all morning about bringing my youngest, and finally decided not to go at the last minute.

I’m glad, because I would have wound up in jail.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

We were dead.

Physically and emotionally. And we didn’t capitalize on Auburn being cold early.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I can't buy the physically dead part. Auburn has more reason to be exhausted with a stretch of 4 games in 4 days.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

No offense, but they looked dead. Don't know exactly why, how, etc... but they were indeed of the deadish nature. Buying it or not, they looked pretty damn dead.

A-Smith likes this.
  5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I don't know. The legs weren't there early, mouths open and hands on knees. Auburn did play an extra game, but yesterday vs UF in an earlier game and nowhere near the physical battle we had, and they have a deeper bench which came into play.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Auburn wanted it more.
    Tennessee forgot that there was another game after Kentucky.
    Their players outplayed Tennessee’s in every facet of the game.
    Pearl coached circles around Barnes.

It’s no more complicated or mysterious than that.

A-Smith likes this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Indeed, I think they thought they had earned it last night. They didn't. The championship wasn't last night.

8. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

The second part was more of it than anything. They were ice cold to start the game and all we could do is what weve always done when we play UF in football. Turnover after turnover.

I think we went through a stretch in the first half where 6 out of 8 times down the floor we didnt even have a shot attempt.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

17 turnovers to 7

10. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I buy the emotional part the most. Not sure that happens with any team not named Kentucky.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

That was a final four level bout against UK. That shit wears you down mentally more than physically.

Mentally tired people get physically tired quicker. Not making excuses. But we were spent.

A-Smith, zehr27 and Indy like this.
  12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This a very rational explanation for how today went down.

Auburn was the benefactor of timing both times we played them this year.

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

It sucks but true. Ms St prior has nba size too, then to Ky yesterday.
    Auburn just a bad matchup for this team, but they were toast early.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Now that I am back home, a few thoughts.

1. When this team thinks it won't get calls inside, they struggle. Auburn played great defense, but we didn't help ourselves at all. Admiral not getting the call on a shot up 15-11 completely messed the entire team up. We quit trying to go inside, and Grant played timid from 12 minutes in first half until 8 minute mark of second half.

2. Not much you can do when a three point shooting team gets hot. Maybe defend the corner shot better, but that's it.

3. Pearl has Barnes' number. It's as simple as that. This happens.

4. I'll agree with NYY, this team was spent.

5. Card Jr, Lyls, and myself sat next to three Auburn fans that seemed like decent people. I was kind of shocked.

6. Bridgestone has good arena food.

7. Anthem was a good as you can get. A+ performance.

8. Junior got to cross an item off his 9 year old bucket list as he got to see the Bat Tower up close today. That was probably the high point for us.

lylsmorr and rockyhillbarner like this.
  15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm trying to break down the being spent emotionally because of a final four type game the day before. What happens when UT starts playing better teams than Auburn on short rest? Numerous times in a row?

utvol0427 likes this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Doesn't get any shorter than "next day."

17. rockyhillbarner

rockyhillbarner New Member

I fully believe that sometimes circumstances set you up to just not have “it” on a particular day, doesn’t matter how much the players want it, how much the coaches motivate or how much the fans cheer. It just happens sometimes.

A-Smith likes this.
  18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

6 games in 17 days. That supposed to change in the NCAAT?

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

And Auburn did the same thing 4 days in a row.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

UT gonna have the same amount of rest as the other teams going forward. Today broke my confidence that they can grind through a tournament.