SHOCKING NEWS: Al Golden Has Been Fired

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Oct 25, 2015.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

and those intermountain towns have absolutely nothing in common with the Cal Pac 12 cities.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

First month in Connecticut when I lived there, I mentioned I was finally getting cable because I would need it to get to see UT play now.

"So, ah, do you have cable in Tennessee?"

And it was a serious question.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

But they're watching the Pac 12 and Mountain West.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

San Francisco is a pro football town and doesn't give two shits about the local schools. LA is a college football town. YOu have a lot of transplants, so it's not like burmingham or something, but san Francisco more anti college sports than any other city on the west coast. seattle and Portland are very pro college football. Washington was far more popular than the seahawks up until maybe 5 years ago.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

OK, but not in enough mass to make it appear that they care in any real percentage of the population.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

How do you figure?

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

OK. I was in Monterey and the ambivalence toward college ball surprised me.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

note 1, Tenny D's post. His is not an uncommon opinion about college football in the west.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

aaannnnndd we just came full circle.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

no it didn't. Look at my post. I said they aren't convincing people elsewhere that they care. They appear to come out when the locals are winning and ignore sports otherwise. There is no misconception like that about college football fans in the southeast, southwest or midwest.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

You left out smoking hippies.

12. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The sitting football coach at Arizona is likely to be at Virginia Tech or back at West Virginia next season because he's tired of coaching at a school that doesn't much give a damn about football. That's reality.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

When I was out there for the 08 Tennessee UCLA game I got the impression nobody even knew it was happening

14. hatvol96

Much like the utter shocked Cal fans expressed that we would fly cross country to go to a game.

15. hatvol96

Look at USC and UCLA's attendance numbers when they aren't in the top 25. The percentage of people in Los Angeles who actually care is miniscule.

16. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I met a few when they came to Knoxville.

They were astounded that a football game was an all day ordeal.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

I was out there for that one too, I'll at least say the atmosphere around the Rose Bowl was far better than that on Cal's campus. Cal was like UT on Tuesday during winter break.

18. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Anybody remember the hippies occupying that tree next to their stadium? Maybe I'm crazy but I swear I remember that tree being full of people.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

i took this picture. doesn't quite do it justice.

[​IMG]

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

And all the UT fans gathered around the perimeter watching them like we were at a Zoo.