Smoothest transition from Dooley

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Hoss Diesel, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Hoss Diesel

Hoss Diesel New Member

I hope you'll all humor me for a bit and work off the assumption that there is a significantly better coach out there that would take the head coaching job at UT. It could be a number of people, as long as they are a proven commodity & clear upgrade. Let's use Jon Gruden for an example.

Is there any way that Dave Hart could realistically remove Dooley after the season if he has a 9-10 win or better year? Is there any precedent for this?

So we win 9, are setup for a good recruiting class, or already have one. Then we bring in a big time HC who brings instant credibility, keeps the new recruits, & gets the '14 class and beyond fired up.

I can't imagine a better scenario, and I would see it as a master stroke by Hart.*

2. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

agree with you

3. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

If Dooley wins 9 I don't see how he can get rid of him. 9 wins is key for Dooley's future employment with Tennessee. Anything less and he's out.

4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Other than Frank Solich, I can't think of any coach at the BCS level who was fired after a 9-win season.

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I think it has been discussed, but 9 wins and blowout losses to the rivals probably doesn't help him.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Pretty sure Dennis Erickson was at Miami, though he was embroiled in conflict.

7. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

9-10 regular season wins might make for a nightmare scenario .. dooley prolly accumulates enough political capital/goodwill to make it through '14? '15?

8. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

He could win 9 and drop a game to Vandy or UK and still be canned.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

And that certainly didn't work out too well. Hopefully our big name would be a lot better than Bill Callahan, though.

10. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I just can't see a scenario outside of losing by 100 to Kentucky or Vandy where we win 9 games and Dooley is fired.

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Seriously?

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I agree with him. I'm not saying I think that is the best course of action, I just doubt whether the powers that be will have the courage to pull the trigger in that situation. They certainly haven't been very proactive in the past.

13. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Exactly

14. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Petrino, albeit completely unrelated to his coaching merits.

15. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I think they would literally have to have someone like Gruden willing to step in.

Even then I think he stays.

16. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I think Hart is pretty antsy to get his own hire in the money making sport. I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled the trigger on Dooley more quickly than has been done in the past.

17. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

2 questions...

Do you think it would take us playing an A+ game to beat SoCar and UF(neither of these will win 9 games)?

and

Do you think UK or Vandy can beat us if we have a solid B performance?

18. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Hoss, I deleted what looked to be a duplicate of this thread.

19. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I think you're underestimating how much respect he lost after the Arkansas and UK debacles last year.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He is.