So long Dixie Stampede

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by A-Smith, Jan 9, 2018.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Although I shouldn't be, I am surprised at the number of people who seem appalled Dolly would allow something like this to happen. How she's managed to be viewed as a local hero with her local East TN values is pretty much great PR work.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The south can and is proud of a lot of things unique to itself.

Why does the south need certain things to be proud of itself?

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I can’t imagine this is very many people.

4. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Delaware ended slavery in Dec 1865

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The 13th amendment did, actually. I'm confused on the point.

6. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Delaware was not a suhthehn state...this whole cultural war involving the confederacy is a sham of faux outrage. I am an east Tennessee union type but also a Southerner and Conservative. I see this as nothing more than virtue signaling and an attempt at cultural assassination

7. AbeFroman

AbeFroman Member

Dolly Parton's Stampede doesn't make me think of dinner and a show. Or maybe it does.

8. Unimane

It's a needed exorcism of eliminating the celebration of the Confederacy and the Lost Cause/Old South false history that had become so permeated and accepted in our society for 150 years, in both the north and south. There's no stopping Southerners from redefining their culture, but the days in which the celebration revolved around a longing for plantation life and waxing poetic about a government set up to preserve slavery, including the honoring of those who fought for that preservation, are, hopefully, over and forgotten.

It's a problem when southern states have been honoring garbage like Nathan Bedford Forrest with statues, street names, etc., but practically nothing with true Southern heroes like the Grimke sisters.

9. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Not a fan of NBF but you gonna go to Smyrna and tear down the Sam Davis house? They owned slaves. You need to purge M.B.A. cause he went to school there and the headmaster was a confederate.

10. Unimane

Not the same. Sam Davis house is an actual historical site. MBA having a Confederate headmaster once doesn't mean anything. A statue of NBF is designed to honor him, as is a street naming, and has no historical value whatsoever. The problem is that the South was so embedded to its racist past for so long that the amount of material celebrating, purposely, the defense of slavery and segregation is vast. It will take time to divest the South of this problem, but it's been doing good work these past few years.

11. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Pffft! Isnt that NBF on I-65 coming into Nashville? I never liked the guy but it isn't up to me to decide which soldier statue gets to stay or go. Now if its him in his Klan garb then I think it wouldn't last 30 sec. I could care less about street names.

To me old Andy was far worse than most confederate brass or soldiers. He was the hero of 1812. He also was a man of his times, owned slaves and committed war crimes by todays standards. We can start by removing his statues,changing our currency and tearing down the Hermitage. When we are done we might get to keep FDR (anti-semite) ,JFK (sexual predator), Reagan (a d*mn capitalist pig) and O (hero of the left). I guess the left will keep him until even his views fall out of favor.

I guess we dont need a statue to anyone until all injustice is fixed and we get rid fo that nativist xenophobic natural born citizen clause and elect our first lgbtqasdfaskldfklasfjd atheist from some third world country.

That is what we need to save ourselves from the patriarchy. Then America might become a great county that accomplishes something important in history.

12. fl0at_

This is more of your all or nothing idiocy.

I’m going to agree with your blow hard position and say you are right, let’s tear it all down.

And let’s start with every single house and effigy that depicts that convicted criminal that deserved to die, Jesus Christ.

13. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Ah someone denying that the slippery slope exists got triggered.

14. fl0at_

You don’t trigger me. You’re an idiot. Everything you say is garbage. Why you continue to remain here, I cannot figure out.

Any opportunity I get to remind you of this is not a “trigger;” it’s me getting to dance all over your stupidity, in the off hope I can get you to do something that will allow me to ban you.

IP triggers me. And sometimes Tenny. But not you.

And as far as the slippery slope, there isn’t one. The fact that you think there is one is what makes you an idiot.

These are people who waged war against the US. Period. Not analogous with those owning slaves, though that is a part. But not the whole. That someone of your capacity fails to see this is not shocking.

When Delware has a name for their period of time when they owned slaves, that celebrates that, then it will be analogous; not just that they owned slaves.

But again, you’d have to actually understand associations to understand. And idiots don’t.

It’s not your fault. What is your fault is you continuing to remain here. But don’t worry, I’ll remind you.

15. Unimane

It doesn't seem like a pretty hard stance to take, removing items that are designed to honor those who most notably defended the practice of owning other people. That doesn't even include actual things of historical value, like the Hermitage.

I suppose, though, the more important person to consider is someone like you who is sad that these sorts of people will not be celebrated than those Americans whose ancestors were enslaved by the men of the Lost Cause. Sorry, but I know which side of the question is more worthy.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Still don’t know why I’d want to eat at place that isn’t going to give me a fork.

I also don’t give a damn either way about the other stuff.

17. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Mississippi ratified it in 2013.

18. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

One person doesn't understand hyperbole, mockery , contempt and sarcasm. He is obviously triggered by my mere presence. I guess the Brits should be perpetually pissed about the Revolution. Slavery and the rebellion are inextricably linked. The triggered would not be as upset without the slavery component being the reason for the rebellion. So the cause or moral arguments are important. If the freedom fighters of the south were propelled by a cause that included a morally flawed reason and we question the nature of such men and their cause then shouldn't other equally flawed men be held to similar standards when one desires to honor them? The difference as I see it is that the Revolution succeeded and the rebellion failed. Both were treasonous acts. It was less so of the south however because secession could be viewed as a legitimate right of the states under the 10th amendment or by logical reasoning based upon the nature and history of the union. Heck the founders based theirs on the theories of Locke et al and made the legal case up from whole cloth and wrote it down in the Declaration. I am sure that would have held up under English common law had they lost.

But the arguments made arent that the southerners were traitors but that the south owned slaves and that the war was over slavery. One was a just war from our perspective and the other not. If the South had won we are not having these discussions. Those tearing down statues are offended that the men owned slaves or fought for slavery not that they fought against the USoA. That is the argument of a minority of persons never heard voiced anywhere but in obscure channels of media internet forums..

Should England insist that statues to William Wallace be torn down in Scotland? Mary Queen of Scots was executed for treason even though she had the correct argument that she was a foreign head of state and incapable of treason.

In the days when the south fought for independence one held more allegiance to their state than the central government.

As a southerner I find much that was to be admired by our culture (slavery not one of them). Alas it is becoming homogenized into a debased decadent common culture run by PC SJWs who hate everything about the past including the good.

Lastly there absolutely is a slippery slope. Its called progressivism by the left. Jefferson and Washington have already come under attack and neither of them waged war against the USoA. They were slave owners and part of the "patriarchy."

Now you will disagree with my desired result but there was absolutely a slippery slope with DOMA. Many wanted a Constitutional amendment citing the slippery slope. Others said DOMA was sufficient. Those in my camp were right. A constitutional amendment was needed if codification was to survive SCOTUS and the slippery slope. 20 years ago such things were unthinkable except by those of us that understand that there absolutely are "camels noses under tents" and "slippery slopes." And even 10 years ago if someone said laws were needed to keep local government from forcing business to allow men who identify as female into womens restrooms people would say thats crazy no such thing would ever happen.

As a former famous judge said "we are slouching toward Gomorrah" aka headed down the slippery slope.

19. fl0at_

You are an idiot.

I am not British. I do not give the first or slightest [uck fay] about Britian.

I am an American, and I do care about treason against the US. And there absolutely are and have been for quite some time, arguments made against the confederates for committing treason. You ignore them because they don’t fit your narrow view.

There is no slippery slope. Simple disagreement and a minority’s opinion does not make an issue, and that is what those against Jefferson and Washington are.

Only an idiot highlights a small occurrence as evidence of a grand design.

There is none.