Soccer Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tvolsfan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I think Almiron and Martinez are gone. I've not heard Jorge Sampaoli, he doesn't move the needle for me after his showing with Argentina.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am not sure Martinez moves. He is making good money and is a big fish in a little pond in Atlanta. Hasn't he already been with a European club and not done so well?

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

He point blank said one of the reasons he came to Atlanta was to get back to Europe. Tata promised him that.

5. NorrisAlan

Ah, I had not heard that.

But with the moves Atlanta has made over the last 3-4 years since their inception, I have no doubt they will find a quality replacement for Tata and whatever players they end up selling to Europe. I believe they have set the gold standard for MLS now, and others have to catch up.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

NorrisAlan likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

He played almost never for Torino

8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Torino had Andre Belotti at striker, so they tried to play Josef on the wing, where his ability to time his runs to get behind the defense and his poacher's mentality didn't serve him nearly as well. No surprise that he didn't do especially well there.

By all accounts--including from the horse's mouth--he loves Atlanta, he enjoys being successful and being adored and getting to watch the Braves and everything else. Not to mention the raise that I'm sure he'll be getting relatively soon. I could see him going back to Europe, but only for an absolutely perfect situation. If there's a team that is willing to pay $15+ million, wants to play him in front of goal, and is good enough that they're not just hoofing the ball upfield and hoping he can hold up possession, then he very well may reevaluate whether or not he wants to give Europe another go. But unlike Almiron, who wants to go over there and test himself against the best, I think Josef is content enough in his current situation to be extremely choosy.

9. Tar Volon

I think Argentina was a disaster no matter who was managing them. He was successful at Chile (lost on pens to Brazil in the World Cup, then won Copa America) and ([uck fay]) Sevilla (qualified for UCL).

10. Tar Volon

Garza traded for $450k in fake money*. Honestly probably not a bad move. Shows a lot of confidence in Bello (and to a lesser extent Jose Hernandez I suppose, because I can't imagine we're counting on Mikey Ambrose). He's 100% our best prospect, but locking down the starting job as a 17-year old is still going to be a tall ask. I guess we're hoping he's our Alphonso Davies.

*for those who don't follow MLS roster rules, it's a league will a salary cap, but everybody has a certain amount of money that they can spend that doesn't count against the salary cap, and that money can be traded. So this gives Atlanta an extra 450k that they can spend that doesn't count against the cap.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

Il morto, le tasse, e il Napoli sta crollando fuori della Champions League.

Death, taxes, and Napoli crashing out of Champions League

12. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Watch this video and rethink what you know about soccer, and sports fanaticism.

13. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It appears as if Pulisic is headed for Chelsea and perhaps right soon.

14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Belgium isn't going to know what hit it

15. JohnnyQuickkick

Sarri is notorious for not rotating his players. Hope he gets in the 11 if he goes there

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

You all slagged off on Sokratis this summer but he has been high quality for us. Played very well.

17. NorrisAlan

Crystal Palace? Crystal [uck fay]ing Palace?

18. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

F0A67474-F365-462F-A077-E2A65D088919.jpeg

Joseph Brant likes this.
  19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Frank de Boer to atlanta. Yeesh

20. JohnnyQuickkick

That’s gonna be interesting