Soccer Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tvolsfan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

This is real and not made up

2. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Scum club

3. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Ole going to get sacked at halftime

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Yeah he’s gone

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'll be honest, I think Viera was a good appointment for Palace. Today gave me a little more ammunition to defend that

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

How Marsch is still employed at Leipzig I have no idea

7. JohnnyQuickkick

Don’t mind the Italian, but this photo is the perfect illustration of why a formation is basically just something you write on paper. Milan play 4-2-3-1. Kessie, one of the 2, is deep between the CB, and the other CM (Bennacer) filling space a bit forward. Leao, the LW, is in the middle of the pitch. The CAM Krunic is to his left. The left back is all the way up. The right back (Calabria) is all the way up and INSIDE the RW (Saelemaekers)

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Expecting people to stay in their formation throughout play is like expecting an american football team to stay in their presnap stance. It's a conception of responsibilities but the parts can all move out and then back in to their relative positions situationally.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

I think 80% of soccer Twitter thinks they move up and down the field and stay in line

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I usually assume most American soccer fans played, but clearly not if they do not realize this. Some teams put a lot of work on the wings and even the striker to fall back on defense and run out with possession. And you can see it at any given moment on the field in most any game at any level.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have played a ton of soccer. This is absolutely how they play.

[​IMG]

12. JohnnyQuickkick

tbh the vast minority of people I follow are Americans. It’s no different than how football-ignorant the average UT fan is

13. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Positioning does matter some, but the formations ebb and flow whether or not they have the ball or the spot on the field, etc. So, a 3-5-2 becomes a 5 man backline on defense, a 4-3-2-1 become a 3 man attack front, and so on and so forth.

14. Unimane

Pulisic back in the Chelsea squad. Can he play against Mexico?

Reyna must've had a more serious hamstring issue than it seemed. Kid hasn't even returned to training since early September.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

That’s a little bit of it

16. Unimane

Oh, yeah, it's way more detailed, but I don't have the time to do an Andre Pirlo-type dissertation. Based upon things I've seen from the national team, I'm not 100 on Berhalter being able to do so, either.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Formation changes often. Ancelotti would often "start" with a 442 but 3 defenders would drop into a 3 man backline because Seamus wasn't adept at attacking. Really became a 352 in attack and 442 in defense.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

Busio & Tessman both started for Venezia this weekend. Has Tessman ever gotten a sniff from the USNT? I don’t keep up with the U21 teams and so forth too much

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Does he play for an MLS team? Then he is obviously not qualified.

20. Unimane

Tessman was on the fringes of the youth team. I'd be surprised if he made the USMNT team any time soon.