South Carolina Primary Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

It is part of the political game. If you listen to his thoughts on issues especially before this election he is usually on point even if it goes against what his party is saying. He has a desire to win and a desire to be remembered as a great man. He is for sure no angel but the best amongst what was offered.

My sister worked with him a long time ago. I have met him several times over a drink. He is very soft spoken in person and enjoys intellectual conversation. He does not go anywhere without his wife. He absolutely adores her. When I see him on a debate floor it is amusing. He certainly turns it on when on a stage.

I am not defending his flaws but just commenting that in person Newt is nothing like he is on a debate floor.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have never understood evangelicals' logic and I don't think I ever will. I am just not wired that way.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I find that reassuring, actually. Folks who had been around Obama in social settings before his election said he was kind of a narcissist. That has come through at times while he has been in office.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I am an evangelical and don't understand the thought process when it comes election time.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I am a believer that one's true personality comes out under pressure situations and what comes around goes around. Newt is two-faced. If he truly believed that ethics violations were grounds for impeachment, he wouldn't be running- period. I think he is a snake, and would never vote for him. He is all that he claims to despise. In the end, he probably is no different than the majority of those guys, but he is a slimeball personified to me.

6. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

He is no more a slimeball then Santy, Romney, and Obama. If you won't vote for him for the reasons you stated then your vote should go to Ron Paul. He is the only one that has not gotten rich off being a politician. Santy to me is the worst one. He pretends to be this uber conservative but has made millions from his postion. He is a total POS. I was not even aware until recently when I did some research he is a complete fake.

I do not disagree they all have made money off politics. But do we not vote? I have been on the fence leaning this way. If you vote for Obama it is voting for corruption as is voting for Romney. Gingrich may or may not be but is not completely bought off at this point. He also has the highest IQ in the room.

Paul is a likable guy and seems to be honest. Some of his ideas are out of bounds but if you want to vote for someone on pure ethics he seems like the only choice. I will vote for Gingrich but am not excited about any of the options.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm really trying to get in the gallery for the presidential debate that will be held here at the University of Denver. I would love to ask a question to whoever the Republicans come up with and Obama. The odds of me getting in are slim enough though, let alone getting to ask a question.

8. JayVols

Ethics are Newt's schtick not mine. He is the one that has made it an issue in the past. All the while, he is one of the dirtiest in the room. I would never vote if ethics were my main concern because they all are dirty. Predending to be ethical while you are as dirty or moreso than what you attack like Newt is even worse than the lack of ethics themselves.

9. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Santy was attacking Newt at the last debate. He even brought up conversations from professional private discussions regarding political strategy. Are you saying you will vote for this guy? I mean he is bring up ethics and is unethical just like Newt in the past.

Are you saying you area voting for Romney? If so please vote for Obama. Obama is a far better vote then Romney. He is not influenced by polls in his next term and leaves the door open for many candidates in 2016.

It is not like it matters too much. Obama seems to have this on cruise control. We will see come this summer.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Obama does not have this on cruise control. As many advantages as he has, he could still lose it if he doesn't play his cards just right. This election will be on a razor's edge.

11. JayVols

No, Jewy, I will not vote for Santorum (his false piety sickens me) or Romney (the chameleon who has never had a position that he wouldn't change for political gain). They suck as bad as the others. I do not like Obama. I have no idea at this point who I will vote for this year. I am probably the only Democrat on the 8th, but I am on record that I am completely unsatisfied with our choices. It's sad.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

It's not a question of who is or is not slime. You can't become a Senator or President -- or the first shift manager at Pizza Hut for that matter -- without getting your hands a little dirty. What Newt represents is a career of impulsive and reckless decisions. Nothing he does is ever "measured" and he thinks in sweeping, grandiose strokes. He is the opposite of a conservative. Whatever you want to say about the careers of Santorum, Romney, Paul, Huntsman, Obama, etc. you certainly wouldn't call them reckless. And being judicious with words and action is something the president ought to have. There is nothing in Gingrich's career that establishes that.

13. JayVols

Jo, we probably have quite differing opinions when it comes to political beliefs, but I respect the way you express your feelings. You present well thought out ideas. That's cool.

For that matter, I try to respect everyone's opinions unless they are just looney. I recognize that this is America where we are fortunate to be able to have our opinions. I don't get mad because someone disagrees with me. That's ant-American, imo. I have a more pro-labor stance. I am not anti-corporation per se. I do believe that without proper oversight that a corporation can trample the rights of an individual as much as any dictator. I take the stance that labor and management benefit when both work together for fair wages and to produce a quality product. It's in the best interest of both to be reasonable and to respect each other.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Thanks Jay. My comments weren't really directed at you (or Jewbacah for that matter). This is just a space where I can write things that are in my head.

You and my late-grandfather would have got along. He was the last of the Southern Democrats running around East Tennessee. He was a ward captain for George Wallace in 1968 and ran Ray Blanton's campaign outside of Knoxville. He was invited to the governor's mansion to mark his achievement, and he and my grandmother were wined and dined in Nashville at the inauguration.

My own views are driven by a combination of Andrew Jackson's populism and John Adams and James Madison's views on democracy. In other words, I am disgusted by elitism, but equally disgusted by blatant appeals to people's passions and emotions. Edmund Burke's Reflections on the Revolution in France sum up most all of my views.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

What do you consider pro-labor and what a fair wage would be?

I hear this stuff, but never really know what it means

16. JayVols

Good question. Fair wage would differ depending on the area of the country. I don't expect a company to overpay workers and go bankrupt. I also don't expect the huge income gaps we currently have now. I guess I would consider it also as allowing labor to live an average middle class life, not lower middle class, upper middle class or working poor. An honest wage for honest day's work. I think more should be done to protect our jobs in the US. Label that protectionism or whatever but that's how I feel. Without descent wage jobs, companies will eventually suffer because they will be unable to buy those products.

I know you weren't addressing me, Jo. It was just an observation by me on your comments. Your grandfather sounds like my kind of guy. I feel like I am essentially alone in my beliefs. I don't fit the mold of the average Democrat or Republican. I always knew I was a freak of sorts.:)

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The problem with protecting American jobs is that the economy of the world is fundamentally changing. We can't expect stuff to be the same as it was 50 years ago.

If you are a 55 or 60 year old nearing retirement and have worked on the line in a factory since you were 18, that's one thing and yes, we need to figure something out for those people. However, if you are 35-40 years old and younger, you MUST realize that your opportunities are different than your parents and have to adjust. You are going to have to apply yourself.

At the end of the day, IMO, this doesn't fall on the federal governments shoulders and falls at the feet of the state and even more important, local governments. They are the ones that have to make the change. It's asinine to think the President of the most powerful country in the world can legitimately spend time about a rural county of 8,000 or so people. It's up to the local govt and local people to change. And they've got to change their mindset. Until that changes, it's going to get worse and worse.

(Bit of a ramble, prob didn't express myself well and will need to clarify.)

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm of the mindset that the world doesn't owe me anything.