Spring practice

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Ssmiff, Mar 25, 2021.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Force turnovers and field goals, that's what the defense has to do. It doesn't have to be that good. The offense will score points.

Volokie and SetVol13 like this.
  2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Saw my buddy's son a couple times in the video I posted yesterday. He's a walkon. Texted the dad saying I saw him getting some reps and his response was "players love the new staff. Totally different atmosphere"

Memtownvol likes this.
  3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm hearing the same thing too.

Memtownvol likes this.
  4. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Listen, I understand the logic in that thinking, but the last decade has taught me that what you see before is not what you're gonna get here. I think the offense will be improved but I also see a lot of frustrating series of drives where we just spend 30 seconds to get 3 and outs and tell our severely undermanned D to go make stops. Hopefully in year two we'll be in that position thanks to the transfer portal or hopefully being able to recruit some bodies at LB. But unless we start getting some players in the portal, it's gonna be a big struggle.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The offense is going to go 3 and out and frustrate the hell out of us, but it's also going to put 35 points while doing it

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  6. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

If Ole Miss is still as bad on D as last year, that game will be fun as hell.

justingroves likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I mean we went 3 and out in 45 seconds and scored 13 points the last couple of years

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Every coaching change we hear about totally different atmosphere, feel, mood... I want to believe. Just tired of being kicked.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The last time there was a culture change that mattered was 2009. Crompton and Hardesty were two guys that had been given up on for the most part and they became NFL draft picks.

Pruitt treated players a helluva lot better than Dooley or Butch did, but it didn't matter on the field eventually.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The atmosphere is always different and great, then we get to the SEC games and start losing by 3 TDs and shit goes right back to normal.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I didn't hear about offensive teaching and improved atmosphere with Pruitt. He was supposed to be a players coach and defensive guru, but we didn't much development and teaching, which is why you see these coaches having to go over little things like foot placement, hips, false steps and so on.

12. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Same. I’ve gone from being completely indignant that we couldn’t do any better than Heupel to at least willing to give him a chance... but this jazz about “the kids LOOOOOOVE the new staff!!” is the same line we originally heard about Pruitt. I’m in “wait and see” mode until proven otherwise.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, was indignant too but have moved on to "cowering in faint hope."

SetVol13 and Savage Orange like this.
  14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

The receiving corps is really tailor made for this offense

zehr27 likes this.
  15. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

We should have at LEAST one QB who can run the offense also... if the O line does its job the offense should be fun to watch.

Memtownvol likes this.
  16. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

There is a lot of talent at WR. I wouldn't be surprised if this offense looked a lot like OU. A lot of guys will have the opportunity to show out and get drafted.

Memtownvol likes this.
  17. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Partly because o-line will look much better.

Memtownvol likes this.
  18. VOLinDAWGland

LOL eternal spring optimizism. Warms me heart.

SetVol13 and IP like this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's just exhausting to climb these offseason mountains of expectations just to be flung off the face of the mountain like a balrog by Gandalf the Gator.

OneForVol likes this.
  20. VOLinDAWGland

At least expectations are more reasonable...just look like a coached team.