Spurrier, doing it his way

Discussion in 'Sports' started by IP, Aug 27, 2014.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I dvr'd it.

2. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

it's pretty good so far

3. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

It's very even handed.

4. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

It was a good watch. I was hoping for a little more of the snarkyness that makes him so great.

5. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

The story I have heard regarding UT's recruitment of Spurrier was that Science Hill had a very good punter, and the scout (perhaps imbibed) made the recommendation that the punter be offered the scholly. He could have made that decision if he was thrown out by Steve's father, who was a Methodist Minister.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I always thought he was a Baptist preacher.

Carry on.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Catholic priest.

8. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I'm 99.9% sure he was Methodist, the reason the came to be in Tennessee. Steve was born in Florida, but Methodist preachers move a lot.

9. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Glad I left that .01%. Wikipedia says he was a Presbyterian Preacher, but I always remember him as a Methodist. Not convinced yet but then not really important.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Jedi Master.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

"We don't have any championships. So we just put some record holders up there so we have some names up."

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Yep. He can get under your skin worst than a chigger. But he is at least entertaining doing it.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Tebow is just damn insufferable.

14. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Gotta love this one: "Don't really mind playing them the second game. They usually have two or three key players on suspension."

15. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

On a fire at the Auburn football dorm that destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet."

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Tennessee wouldn't have offered a guy who was strictly a punter if they were running the single-wing at the time.

EDIT: Let me clarify this.

The single-wing didn't/doesn't offer much in the area of specialization in punting the football. The modern day punting formation actually comes directly from the single-wing punt formation and many teams of that era would use the formation on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down as a form of deception that forced defenses to move a man 30 yards from the LOS. Even after the substitution rule change of 1941 allowed teams to sub at any time of the game, single-wing teams would still use their primary back as a punter.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My favorite

18. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

That followed one of the few nights where Spurrier beat them mercilessly.

19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Well I didn't say he was just a punter nor do I know, but most punters and kickers at that time played a regular position and happened to be the best on the team that could kick. The story I related was in the Bristol Newspaper, and was based on an interview with the punter. General Neyland was well known for having strong kicking teams, and will forever be known for the third down punt against Alabama in a downpour gambling on forcing a fumble, which they did, winning the game.