Starting QB

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by govols182, Jul 9, 2018.

1. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Most people are split on this, but it looks like the majority agree it will be either Jarrett Guarantano or Keller Chryst.

Personally, I think it will be JG the whole year.
    Phil Steele thinks it will be KC.

Who do you think starts game 1 and who do you think starts the final game of the year.

2. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Guarantano and Guarantano. Chryst pretty much sucked at Stanford, so it’s hard to see him suddenly blossoming into a legit starting quarterback.

3. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

If JG holds onto the ball, Chryst will be in quickly due to injury. Hes got to get his feet moving and get the ball out or hes gonna get rolled up on often

5. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Remember whose offense and what coach he had last year. There is a reason Urban Meyer wanted him.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have my doubts in JG handling these new coaches and the expectations. I remember him pouting a lot last year and I heard during Spring as well.

7. Ssmiff

Yeah but history on highly recruited qbs seems to be 50/50 for @ every coach.

8. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Urban Meyer has a pretty good record on QB evaluation.

Alex Smith

Tim Tebow

Cam Newton

Braxton Miller

Cardale Jones

JT Barrett

9. Ssmiff

Urban is good. OSU playing 1 or 2 top 20 teams a year for many of those names doesnt impress me, and its not like they throw the ball all over other teams.
    JG isnt a legit running option on 3rd and 4

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think he finally grew up.

11. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

JG and JG.

I think Chryst is only being brought in as a back up in case JG gets hurt or completely blows up. We need JG the next 2 seasons.

12. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

You're crazy. There's a reason he was the number 1 DTQB in his class and had 31 Power 5 offers.

13. Ssmiff

So lets see how many QB draws or QB power runs we have on 3rd and 3 to 5. Im gonna set the over/under at 2 for the year. Urban runs that play once a series.

14. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

What does that have to do with him being able to pick up a first down with his feet on 3rd and 4? He will have plenty of opportunities to make plays with his feet. It doesn't have to be a designed run.

15. Ssmiff

You listed Urbans qbs. Their ability to run made them weapons and how he used them.
    Hopefully JG shows some instinct this year and can pick up some first downs, but the defense doesnt have to shadow him or worry about his feet as a weapon.

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

These coaches are not going to coddle him. It either makes or breaks him.

17. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

I think KC gets the start against WVU. I wouldn't be totally surprised to see both in the game though

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He didn't show any speed or elusiveness last year. Hard to imagine him as much of a running threat in SEC play.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He froze last year. Sometimes that can be coached out, but he was never comfortable in the pocket

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He has gone to some good camps this summer so hopefully he has made the necessary strides. Its all going to come down to whats going on between his ears. imo