"stomp on Jesus"- the other side of the story

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Apr 3, 2013.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Been waiting for this. Figured there was more to it.

True story -

A friend of mine is a pastor of a church plant in one of the areas around New Orleans (I forget which city exactly). Anyway, during Mardi Gras in 2012, they were handing out water at one of the parades. Authorities asked to see their permit. He had no idea you had to have one, didn't have one, and they told him no leave. No worries. He did.

Local talk show called and asked if he would talk about it. He said sure, not thinking anything about it. Quickly escalated into a suppression of the church by the government conversation. As much as he tried to steer it away from that, he was hooked. He called the city apologized, etc.

Anyway, ended up Fox News got wind of this and wanted to interview him and city officials to blow it out of the water.

All that to say, I'm not surprised.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I feel bad for the guy. Hopefully his congregation is aware of this being slander.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm surprised the Mormon was so adamant. You'd think the professor asked him to stomp on a piece of paper with Joseph Smith written on it the way he reacted. It's not like the guy offended the integrity of his fifteen sister-wives.

5. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I do too and hopefully they do. I'm not sure what the author of this article expects to happen when one and only one angle is being reported on something. His disdain for Christians is quite apparent.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

why did the students die sound unbelievable? only one in 10,000 kids would actually throw a s fit about it. most would probably find it an interesting excercise. the prof probably was shocked.

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yes, it's a creative, provocative and instructive exercise. I would find it hard to believe that a professor would really bother with creating some kind of purposeless activity simply to inject some kind of anti-Christian attitude within the students. I could easily see some professor going into a rant about the evils of Christianity, but find the idea of some petulant stomping of Jesus name on a piece of paper to do the same a bunch of made up bullshit.

9. possumslayer

possumslayer Roadkill Guru

I prefer the Allah stomp.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I found the idea that a professor forced a student to stomp on something and then kicking him out of the class for not doing it utterly unbelievable. I've heard of this exercise before. Typically, no one or very few actually do what is said immediately and hesitate. The instructor then says to stop, and ask why they hesitated. You tell me how that can get a guy tossed out of a class. It was obvious something was missing.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

And the Muslim students would hesitate to even probably throw the paper on the ground. So you'd ask them why and talk about the power of symbols. That's the exercise.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm sure he was shocked. So why would he kick him out for being simply upset? It was obvious something was missing, and the threatening part fits perfectly.

That this guy is a regular at a local church speaks volumes about the absurdity of him just having an ax to grind against Christ, or trying to punish an objectionable Christian.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I completely agree kicking him out seems unlikely unless the guy was getting really disruptive about it.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

This guy would have been fired in minutes by the school if he was telling kids to stomp a picture of Mohammad. Not saying that right btw

15. possumslayer

This

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree that a picture of The Prophet would be a whole other can of worms, for many reasons.

17. possumslayer

Stomp on Obama

18. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Obama is doing a fine job of stomping on himself frequently.

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I don't consider the student that got kicked out a Christian. That's just me.

20. possumslayer

Why