Summer Practice is here!

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Aug 2, 2023.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Heupel has won championships as a player in JUCO and at Oklahoma. He's won a lot as an assistant and as a head coach. He's not a band guy pretending to be a football coach, he's not living off daddy's name, he's worked his ass off to get where he's at.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

And, he's not a dude who shits his pants at the first sign of adversity or pressure, my favorite quality in him. Finally, a dude with a swagger and cold blood in his veins wearing the headset.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Same. He oozes confidence and the more comfortable he's gotten here, the more that comes out.

HongKongPhooey likes this.
  4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Going to make going 6-6 this year that much more disappointing

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

VOLinDAWGland, HongKongPhooey and IP like this.
  6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Regardless of how the season goes it's nice to have a coaching staff for once that isn't constantly tempering expectations. They are not afraid to sound confident and I really like that.

Memtownvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

When he went for it in the bowl game against Purdue I knew we had something. He didn't look scared or worried, he just made a decision and went with it.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

It's almost Spurrier like.

NorrisAlan and warhammer like this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He learned from Bob and Bob learned from Steve

Memtownvol, NorrisAlan and zehr27 like this.
  10. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Everyone should go watch the videos on YouTube where James Bates has his former teammates tell their favorite Spurrier stories.

justingroves likes this.
  11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's amazing. I'd forgotten what it felt like having a coach going into a season beyond the second and not at least waiting on the inevitable.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Little stuff like this. When did we ever hear this about the last three?

10SEvols and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  13. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

When the team actually believes the championship talk and isn't saying it because that is the correct thing to say when asked, we become very dangerous. I don't think we're there yet but we are going to see some good football from here on out. IMO of course.

Memtownvol and Poppa T like this.
  14. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Does anyone remember that story from Basilio about the guy who saw Butch in public during the winter of '17 where the guy genuinely just wanted to say , " hey coach!" ?

If memory serves correct, Butch immediately began telling this random stranger about how much they'd be affected in the upcoming season by attrition etc blah blah

15. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Hard to have a better lineage of mentorship than that in this industry. Mike Leach helped foster a lot of his great coaching qualities too.

I’ve always found comfort in the assertion that one doesn’t make Drew freaking Lock a 1st round NFL QB by being a crappy football coach.

16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Putting the vision and confidence in their heads.
    I’ve got a man crush

Attached Files:

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

We had a decade full of failure enablers with built in defense mechanisms. I don't think I could've hated them more, whether Butcj was doing his shtick or Mike Hamilton was telling Vol fans they should accept a lower status on the athletic totem pole because of location, resources, etc.

justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Milton has been extremely sharp so far in fall practice. Like he has barely missed a pass and has apparently learned to take some heat off his short throws. I am trying not to get too excited about him starting this year but man it sounds like he has come a long way since 2021 so its pretty hard. He even felt the rush the other day and stepped out of the pocket to deliver a dime of a deep ball. I just hope with all hope he has finally got it to all click and has a better feel for the pocket because I still feel that is his biggest achilles heal.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Too late.

[​IMG]

Unimane and zehr27 like this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's been building up to him doing so. One day people may look back and forget that there was any doubt Milton would excel in 2023 because he dominated vandy and clemson to end the year. Right now, people see that as an aberration. It might be the real Milton.

zehr27 likes this.