Tajih Boyd Shares His Views About Tennessee

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by KenTenn, Jul 8, 2014.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

After the run was over, he hung around about 5 years longer than he should.

The man was handed a well oiled machine and broke it.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't think anybody keeps it going forever. He could've saved everybody a lot of grief by walking into the sunset after 2005, though, that's for sure

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Or won it all in 01 and retired.

Or quit after being embarrassed by 2 acc teams in consecutive bowl games.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

What I don't get is the people who seem to think he would have continued winning 9 games a season if he had been retained.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

And there was no doubt he stepped into a great spot, but he got it to the next step before breaking it.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Some of the greatest coaches in college football history were run out of town by the end of their tenure. Not many coaches have maintained a level of excellence over say 7 or 8 years of tenure.

7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Who are you thinking here? Bowden for sure.

Paterno, Hayes, and Switzer were run out for other reasons than performance.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

Penn St wasn't any better than Fulmer 06/07 for a long time with Paterno though

9. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Oh no question. I'm just saying he wasn't run out of town because of his performance.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

Spurrier was smart enough to get out and try the NFL while the iron was hot, before things could go south on him.

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I'm not trying to patronize you when I say this but, there was A LOT more to it than 'He had a good run than it ended'.

Phil was a great OL coach and an above average recruiter. As an OC, he had games that lead you to believe he was an outstanding offensive mind, then he had moments (most notable Bama in '90&'91) where he took world class firepower and couldn't pick up a first down with them. When you factor in how integral Cutcliffe was to his QB development/talent, you can safely say he was not much more than a good assistant on a great staff. He then Shanghai'd his way into the HC spot and road out the wave of success that would have been the product of any halfway competent coach had they taken over Majors's machine at that point in time.

He didn't know how a program functioned and when he saw he couldn't sustain the success that was a given just a few years removed from Majors, he championed a loser that was poison for the University to be named AD that would ensure him raises/extensions as long as he finished 3rd in the East...... And he could even sustain that level of mediocrity.

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Spurrier lost his drive after the '96 season and tried to regain the fire with a new challenge in Washington.

13. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

How many "great coaches" have taken a preseason #2 team that returned everyone from an 11 win record and finished 5-7?

14. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Allow me to elaborate, he really hasn't given a shit since 1996 and has been hands off with the offense the majority of his time at SC. Id love to see the lack of man hours he puts in compared to his peers while still winning.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

I'm not trying to defend him. It's just always been amusing to me to observe people's opinions of him.

16. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

*10 win. Not that it matters. We're talking'04-05 right?

17. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Yep. My b yo.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Paterno was absolutely run out of town because of performance.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Kiffin? My point wasn't that fulmer was ever great, simply that even great coaches have a problem maintaining excellence for more than 7 or 8 seasons, so therefore it's unrealistic to think good coaches would do it too.

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

You'll have to elaborate.