Taxes

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Aug 17, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

It shouldn't be hard, considering their alleged functioning. And yet.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Employees of churches and nonprofits are already paying income tax, right?

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

A good first step would be to force churches and charitable organizations to segregate their charitable activities from their sanctuary building activities. If the money isn't being spent on actual charities (Note: not temples, new buildings, and overhead) then it can remain tax free.

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Keep it simple, 15% for people and corporations.

5. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Yes.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would be all for that

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'm not sure we come close to balancing the budget at 15%. Any discussion about tax rates has to be about spending too.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Quit spending

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I agree I guess. Except the infrastructure is wearing out and we're not currently keeping up with the engineers' suggested replacement schedules at the current rates.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Figure out what is fair to take from the populace. Make that consistently applied to each person. Then prioritize expenses and make it fit within the budget. Pretty simple concepts.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Extremely simple concepts, but also extremely difficult to agree on the answers about what is fair and what is priority. And the answers are what economists and politicians have been fighting about for the last 50+ years.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

IMO, the tax rate and spending should be set to maximize long run economic growth. But the question about what that looks like has not been definitively answered. You need a healthy well-educated population and enough income equality to keep the velocity of money high. You need to be safe. You need infrastructure that supports commerce. But you also need incentives for people to start businesses and pursue wealth to create jobs. All those things are important and maximizing simultaneously is tough.

13. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

If you're talking just a flat 15% effective rate I don't believe that would change total federal tax revenues all that much.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The federal government is horrible at maintaining infrastructure since keeping up a bridge or road isn't sexy and win votes with photo opportunities.

Education should be ran at the state levels. Always trying to keep up with the bullshit from Washington on education is a huge waste of resources and hurts the quality of education in this country.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think it's that hard. I think the priority is what do we spend the money on that gets us reelected.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Thought Texas had more say in education, than anyone else.

"Keep Mississippi dumb, Support State ran Education."

Catchy.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Texas and California because of text books but there's never any constancy in goals or expectations.

This leads to huge wastes in buying classroom materials, text books and in professional training.

18. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I skipped a step, I suppose. I thought IP was going to limit my ability to deduct my contributions to those orgs.

I don't think you'd have any problem making them unprofitable. That's an accounting issue more than anything.

19. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

No it isn't, but I did not state my point very well. Most people would fall into the 25-35% brackets, or 40k-400k, for ordinary income before exemptions and deductions.

Was really interested to know what nominal and effective brackets should be, in the opinion of the 8th.

I appreciate your <20% answer, although this is a pretty big increase on 80% of income earners.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

My point is for ip that I don't think it would move the needle tax wise. Unless they start taxing endowments or something