Taxes

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Aug 17, 2016.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Maybe we should stop paying farmers to turn their corn into engine fuel.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That is madness. We all know we can grow enough corn to satisfy all of the USA's fuel needs!

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Possibly.

However, corn prices are near a 10yr low and are less than half of what they were 5 years ago. The market seems to have self-corrected, and i don't think that's either a good example of inflation or indicative of why low earners have it rough.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

or stop paying them not to grow food. . .

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

There are also large subsidies for crop insurance that pay for when food won't grow.

Is it important to have a farming industry in this country? Is having one worth subsidizing it, or would it be ok to see it go the way of the garment industry?

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I go through a cow, two pigs and a quarter of a buffalo a yeae, then whate very I shoot. I buy chicken from the store, but that's it.

It's a lot cheaper to but in bulk if you've got the freezer space

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm biased when it comes to farming, but yes it needs to stay

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And the capital to make a huge purchase.

Is there insurance available against the power going out? Or just spring for a generator?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the question is whether farming goes away if they lose these subsidies. and i'm going to say no. the day of the single family farmer is basically gone. said "families" are basically huge corporations with diverse holdings. surely they can afford crop insurance on their own. look at California. we have one family who owns water rights for growing almonds and they use more water than the entire county of los angeles and they essentially handed that water for free. obviously there's a lot of room for improvement without having to torpedo the industry. they also get a pass on estate taxes as well which makes zero sense to me logically. why should rich farmers get a pass and rich other people don't?

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I wish I had that option, but it's very expensive to do that here.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I barter quite a bit.

I have a generator

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

A lot of our farming regulations and laws are dumb and full of cronyism

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

A lot of this is true but I can tell you there's still quite a bit of "family" farming in Tennessee.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

much of the farming in California is "family" farming, but we are talking about tens of thousands of acres and huge revenues. i'd be all for giving special dispensation to actual small family farms. in particular ones that are organic or grass fed meat.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Some are crap, most could be better. The whole paying not to grow thing is far more complicated than it seems.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We have a federally protected sugar cartel in this country that has made candy and chocolate producers move out the country.

Meat processing has been whittled down to a couple of major players

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was talking about paying not grow. But continue, I am just an ideological piƱata to beat on.

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

He was probably addressing the "some are crap" part.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm not beating up on you just adding that there's a ton of cronyism involved and a lot of waste and vote buying

20. MWR

MWR Contributor

It's the American Way.