TCU v. Baylor v. tOSU

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Dec 7, 2014.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Not if Oregon plays like they did last week

2. woodshed

woodshed Active Member

If OU or Texas have one loss(instead of TCU/Baylor with 1 loss) NO WAY the committee leaves out the Big 12.

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

It's all about the Benjamins.

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Over under around 197.

5. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

FSU has D tackles

That will push every thing east to west

It's the Stanford formula

6. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

34-31 kinda game

7. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Why?

All the current system has done is creat a 4 team cluster**** to replace the previous two team cluster****. Why would and 8 team cluster**** improve anything?

8. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

What is your suggestion? The previous format? I would be fine with that.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

The committee got it right. Outright conference champions make it over teams that aren't. A win should be worth something in itself, and playing 1 more game means having 1 more win.

It was a difficult situation this year, but they nailed in the most logically consistent and defensible way.

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

8 teams you won't have anyone [itch bay]ing about being left out. It won't be near the cluster as what we have now or the BCS

11. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Teams 5 and 6 have no legit claim.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Tennessee
    Kentucky
    Vanderbilt
    UTC

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I tend to agree. Sorry about your luck, TCU and Baylor

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Want to bet? I think it should stay right like it is. It is unlikely to ever be muddier than this year, but the "just out" teams have an obvious thing to fix to get in next time: get a conference championship game/win the conference outright.

In years past, the championship game would have been Bama and FSU. Oregon would have gotten ****ed. But with a playoff, one can properly rate FSU without the whole "how can you leave out an undefeated team?!" issue. One can include Oregon and even a wild card like OSU.

If this year is a problem, every year will be a problem no matter how many teams are allowed in. It will be like the NCAA tournament, some fresh victim being left out each year. At 16 it would be "Wisconsin is better than Mizzou! Clemson and Louisville got screwed!"

there is no better way to decide the top 8 right now than there is for a top 4. This argument for an expanded playoff has no end.

15. kidbourbon

Sheeittt

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The more you add the more the confusion grows. There will be two and three loss teams [itch bay]ing if you expand to 8. Four is plenty and a lot of years more than is necessary. Lots of talking heads (same guys lamenting current setup) mentioned a four team playoff would eliminate all doubt brought on by the oh so stupid BCS.

17. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Actually, I like the format before the previous format. I'd put the bowls directly tied to the conferences without the BCS nonsense, only I'd take #2 in whatever poll you like and force them to go to #1. I think it is the fairest and most interesting system without all of the pretend, disingenuous "true champion" bullshit and takes the non playoff bowls back to some tie-in that makes them not completely worthless.

Of course, it won't ever happen because if it did, ESPN couldn't sell the current mess as some sort of "on the field..what really counts" idiocy to the Bubbas that make up about 98% of non-soccer sports fans.

18. kidbourbon

Wrong, and badly so.

The difference between team 4 and 5 will always be bigger than team 8 and 9. And the argument is always framed about whether the team left out deserved to be in vis a vs the last time that go ti.

19. kidbourbon

It bumps up against practical considerations, but absent those, you're exactly right.

20. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

What I was thinking. They'll finally get that loss they've been avoiding all year long.