TCU v. Baylor v. tOSU

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Dec 7, 2014.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

What evidence is there that Baylor or tcu would beat ohio state?

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Exactly. And TCU lost to Baylor. It's very close between those 3 teams. They're all deserving for that final spot, the way Ohio State absolutely crushed Wisconsin put them in.

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I admitted evidence was poor word choice.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Is Marshall in a power 5 conference? No. Nice red herring. I guess you have nothing.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I was clearly being serious. What am I supposed to have?

Big 12 > Big 10.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I never claimed that. I claimed there was no strong distinction. That is what you are supposed to be refuting, not making up a staw man that is the mirror image of the claim you can't apparently support.

7. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Okay partna. I don't think there is a strong distinction. I do believe TCU and Baylor are better and more deserving based off of what I've seen all year. The straw man was just messin with you.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Alright, then we are closer to the same view on this than I thought. In a weird way, TCU and Baylor cancelled each other out by not distinguishing themselves from one another.

Make no mistake, I too think OSU lucked in. This was close. There just isn't a way to put TCU or Baylor in over the other, without ignoring the existence of a team like OSU with a very similar resume without the fog of a shared title. Plus, if we were going off of SOS, a win over Wisconsin is better than no game.

9. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Venue matters.

Baylor loss more excusable, imo.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No one wants to play in Morgantown. Losing to a 6-6 VT team at home is inexcusable

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I guess a better way of saying it is I have less sympathy for #9 than #5

12. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

We all can agree (well all that are reasonable thinkers) that you cannot eliminate the arguing that XYZ U should have been included over XYZ State no matter how many teams are in the playoff. But it would appear that an eight team playoff would at least have let the more obvious one loss teams in thereby preventing any truly legitimate contenders being left out. To me whether the best 7th or 8th team made it is much less meaningful than is the best 4th team in as is the question this year.

13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Maybe, but consider this.

You've got what I think is as clear cut of a 1 vs. 2 as you've ever had. You have consensus #1 Bama and undefeated, defending national champion Florida St who, if it weren't for this committee silliness, would be in the top 2 because it is fairly stupid to have a defending national champion on a 2 dozen game win streak not in the top 2. They also happen to be the two teams that should have played in last year's title game if not for 111 yard FG return.

Why do we need a playoff to determine this? Football is a weird-ass game, but what about this playoff is better than letting Alabama and FSU line up for 4 quarters and slug it out? Does anybody really believe that Ohio St, or TCU for that matter, is one of the top TWO teams in the country? The playoff has one round too many, not one round too few. It's a made for TV farce.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yesss. Those who wanted a playoff, here you go. This is what it looks like. short of a "every bowl eligible team is a playoff team," there will always be a cutoff that can be [itch bay]ed about.

15. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

That makes no sense. Losing at a top 10 team is worse than losing at a top 50 team?

16. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

When Oregon wins the title, I'll pull this back up.

17. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

That's not what I said.

18. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Was comparing Baylor loss to WVU to Ohio State's loss to VT. Importance of venue being a loss at home versus on the road.

19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Beat me to it.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Without a playoff, Oregon gets left out. True or false?